Author Topic: How to fix Grandma's chair?  (Read 3751 times)

kdj

• View Profile
How to fix Grandma's chair?
« on: September 28, 2013, 04:34:17 pm »
Here is my Grandmother's chair...loosing it's veneer. It sat on her screened in porch forever. When I was much younger and needed furniture, I asked her if I could have it. She said yes and to put it in the barn when I was done with it. (Don't bring it back.) Well it's never gone to the barn and is dear to me and wish I could fix it. Is that possible? It was made at the Wisconsin Manufacturing Company in Jefferson, Wisconsin.
Thanks for your advice!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: How to fix Grandma's chair?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:44:07 pm »
Its fixable...you could either glue on  thin plywood...that comes in 2mm..using evo-stick contact adhesive..then stain it...or if you know a carpenter, you could get him to remove the old back and fit a new one.....me personally..i.d go for the thin ply....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 04:50:10 pm »
Thank you! Sounds like it could be a do it yourself project. Mostly.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 05:01:56 pm »
How handy are you with a paint brush and matching colors ?? You rocking chair is a nice little craftsman style chair from the 30`s era !! Will look nice repaired !!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 05:34:13 pm by mart »

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 05:19:31 pm »
Are you saying match the wood color and paint the lighter wood where the veneer is missing?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 05:55:54 pm »
I think that,s what Mart,s proposing...its the easy way...but unless you filled in where the veneer is missing...you would always see the difference...doing it my way..using 2mm ply...is relatively simple...first you would make a template of the back...strong card could be used,once you have cut the template to size,..you would then lay it onto the 2mm ply,...and being 2mm thick..it is easy to cut,..then get yourself a 500ml tin of contact adhesive...do one side at a time...spread the adhesive over the back panel, and over the ply to be used on the back,..leave for the stated time..usually 20mins/30mins...then carefully bring the two together,...then do the other side,...once its done, you can then stain the ply to match the chair,...then use a satin clear varnish....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 08:05:19 pm »
Its fairly simple to fill the places where the veneer is missing if the rest is good and solidly glued on !!  You can thin wood filler slightly and apply it to the missing spaces, one space at a time, let dry and sand lightly till its smooth with the rest of the back !!  Then use craft paint to match the darker color and a lighter shade for the grain pattern !! Get one of those cheapo $ .98 bristle brushes to match the grain !! Then a light coat of varnish !! Easier than trying to replace the back and would serve your purpose !!

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 09:28:10 pm »
Thanks to both of you! Not sure which I'll try but I am grateful for your advice! That old chair is more comfortable than any other I've had over the years! Solid as a rock!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 02:39:58 am »
Alternatively....if as Mart says and  the rest of the veneer has a solid background..you could make a tracing of the missing parts,then buy some 1mm veneer....and piece in the missing parts using the contact adhesive....a bit like marquetry....that way you are retaining the integrity of the back...then its just a case of blending in the patches....

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 05:06:50 am »
I hafta …. half way ….. agree with Bigwull on the fixing. Contact cement is un-forgiving if you don’t get exactly right the 1st time.

I suggest you use a heat-gun and remove the old veneer and then sand it smooth. Then wipe it with a damp cloth or a “tack” cloth. You can get a "tack" cloth at Auto Parts store.

But first, purchase a sheet of the following or an equivalent piece from another supplier, to wit:

Peel and stick …… Tiger Flake White Oak Veneer
http://www.vandykes.com/product.aspx?p=200682&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ppc_google_pla&CAWELAID=1305910516&catargetid=120019340000103713&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJyY7Kyz8LkCFROZ4AodmgkALg

If you opt for the above, then cut it to fit like Bigwull said, but don’t peel all the backing off at once. Just peel enough off to get it started on one (1) edge ….. and then continue to peel it off as you press it down.

And ps, use scrap pieces of the veneer for “test staining” to make sure you get a good “color” match.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 06:20:11 am »
This peel & stick....sounds like just what you need....for as Cogar has said...you get no 2nd chance with contact adhesive...

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 09:25:08 am »
What I used to do is find a cheap or discarded piece of furniture and soak all the veneer off and throw the rest away. I always had a stock of veneer for repairs. If you look you may be able to find an old veneered piece for around ten dollars and just pull the veneer off. Or you can take the easier way and order from Van Dykes as suggested above, or Constantines.http://www.constantines.com/veneer.aspx

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 10:13:25 am »
Thank you! You people are awesome!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 11:05:14 am »
Post an "after " pic so we can see the transformation !! 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 11:21:30 am »
What I used to do is find a cheap or discarded piece of furniture and soak all the veneer off and throw the rest away. I always had a stock of veneer for repairs.

Right on, Frogpatch,  ;D ...... because when doing repairs you not only have to match the stain (color) ..... but also try to match the grain of the wood.