Author Topic: Antique Painting value  (Read 6861 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Painting value
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 01:39:41 pm »
Why ??

corkysgold

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 02:09:06 pm »
I found through my research that Marshall Field used to have an art department. They sold art and did framing, unfortunately I could not find reference to the years that they offered art. When I look at the Marshall Field tag I assumed that the 650.00 was a price, but there's no dollar sign on the sticker. Perhaps Marshall Field just reframed the painting, and the sticker is related to the frame and not a price at all. The Cooling Gallery started in the 1800's and has been out of business for thirty years. Thanks for all the positive help. I am so excited about this painting my head could explode.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:06:41 pm by corkysgold »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 02:35:31 pm »
keep yer cool..i,ve seen one or two exploding heads in the past......not nice......and for those of you who might wonder....it was in my M.A.D days.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 04:04:09 pm »
Just get the gallery to have a look and let us know what they say !!  I think the 650. was the price back then frame and all !! Remember that would have been a years work for many people !! It was a hefty sum !! Back then his work would have seemed cheap by todays standard !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 04:54:41 pm »
Too many 'things' happening with the framing elements , tagging & misc. to be definitive , IMO , on the on-line deal & agree that you're on the right track towards checking it out , corkysgold .

If it was in my sweaty little mitts , I'd have sliced out & removed the strecher-frame/canvas assembly by now (more tales may be told by uncovering that which cannot be currently seen) to have a good eyeball at it (or @ least one edge of it to take a peek at the canvas & edge elements) !

Don't be too shocked if it's a 'copy' , a multiple or etc. (even those can be worth some bucks) & that way you can have a bigger shock if a one-off , coreysgold !

" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 06:25:23 pm »
Even canvas litho`s are not bad !!

corkysgold

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 10:08:52 pm »
I wanted to leave the painting as original as possible.

corkysgold

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 12:10:19 pm »
just got back from Dumouchelles. The painting is real. He figures Marshall Field sold it as well as the Cooling Gallery somewhere in it's history. In  the small amount of research he did his conservative estimate is 2-4K but said he wouldn't be surprised with a final sale figure of 10-15K. I am waiting on Christie's & Sotheby's reply in 4-6 weeks.

Ipcress

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 12:40:31 pm »
Which state do you live in ? I wouldn't choose Dumouchelles.

Personally don't think it would have been sold at both places but Coolings did exhibitions where it may have been on view - the A number top left could refer to that. I've catalogued museum collections and they all have similar numbers on them.

By the way, whilst looking at some paintings, i saw this. Absolutely wonderful

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20029/lot/20/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:43:47 pm by Ipcress »

corkysgold

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »
That is lovely. I live in Michigan. I sent online photos to Christie's and Sotheby's. Where do you suggest I sell the painting.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 03:02:57 pm »
Congrats on the good news there , corkysgold !

Always nice to see folks 'pickin' up' on a winner !!!
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Ipcress

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 04:42:33 pm »
That is lovely. I live in Michigan. I sent online photos to Christie's and Sotheby's. Where do you suggest I sell the painting.

I think Christie's in Chicago. They should respond favourably, especially given the ( partly ) local history.

Low estimates are excellent in places with good online exposure and also people attending. I think you can split bidders into three categories
a ) Wants a bargain
b ) Wants the item and agrees with the price
c ) wants the item full stop.
You need to have all three interested to exceed expectations and as auctions can become quite territorial, " alpha " bidders can sometimes go beyond the real value of an item simply to win the auction.

If Christie's like the labels on the back of this, i think you're in for a ride.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 09:19:53 pm »
corkysgold , you might wanna check the link below for free old & new hammer prices for Luigi's painting works .... gives you a clue about pricing & who's been/has been selling the works with best 'success' (price/location-wise) .
Seems to be quite a few there !

http://artsalesindex.artinfo.com/asi/results.action

Happy huntin' !!!

8)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 09:31:05 pm »
Great to hear !! Just goes to show that treasures can still be found in the most unlikely places !!

corkysgold

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 09:44:40 pm »
corkysgold , you might wanna check the link below for free old & new hammer prices for Luigi's painting works .... gives you a clue about pricing & who's been/has been selling the works with best 'success' (price/location-wise) .
Seems to be quite a few there !

http://artsalesindex.artinfo.com/asi/results.action

Happy huntin' !!!

8)

Thanks for the link, awesome site.