Author Topic: I have two sets of metal cups in leather Mark Cross England and Dunlop cases.  (Read 2911 times)

Jellytip

• View Profile
I have emailed the Mark Cross company and they are unable to give me any information.

They are in a brown leather case stamped with DUNLOP on the front. Inside are 4 metal cups. Inside those is a smaller brown leather case, this time holding 3. On the inside of the top flap, just below the fastener is the fairly worn Mark Cross England logo. The cases and cups appear to be slightly different, so I am unsure if the belong together.

I have a list of very poor quality photos that will hopefully help. I am interested in learning when they were made, if they are a set, and what exactly they are made of. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Front of big case

Bottom of big case

Inside big case

Big cups

Front of small case

Inside small case

Small cup

Back of small case

Back of big case
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:43:28 pm by Jellytip »

mariok54

• View Profile
Hi Jellytip,

What you have there are stirrup cups, but I'm not sure whether they are all part of the same set. Here is a link to a set that recently went on Ebay, which was quite cheap ... where I am anything horsey fetches a nice premium

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Stirrup-Cups-Nesting-EPNS-Gilt-Cross-Stirrup-Cups-Leather-Case-37-/281094717110?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item41728cfeb6&nma=true&si=UvL2FugvlSBx%252BM2yipz%252Fq9OIxNg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If they are silver then they'd be clearly hallmarked and be quite expensive, but they don't look like silver from the pics.?
Date? A very rough guess of 50s - 60s

Jellytip

• View Profile
This is an exact match! I am just missing a cup, I only have 3. I'm going to assume my other set is unrelated, have been told a few different things about it.

I'm not too interested in the price, I'm at my parents house which is full of old things I like to research :) Occasionaly I need to ask for help, so thank you very much!

Jellytip

• View Profile
Oh embarrassing, have just had another look and I do have all 4 cups. They have the Cross England mark on the bottom, but no other hallmarks. Such great satisfaction cracking the code!

Jellytip

• View Profile
Sorry for so many replies! I've just noticed the cups in the eBay link were 6.5cm high and 5.5cm wide,while mine seem to be square at 4.5cm high and 4.5cm wide.

mariok54

• View Profile
Sorry for so many replies! I've just noticed the cups in the eBay link were 6.5cm high and 5.5cm wide,while mine seem to be square at 4.5cm high and 4.5cm wide.

Possibly smaller to maintain some degree of sobriety when chasing about on horseback!  ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
These are also known as stacking hunting cups!  Very common from very late 1800's to 1940's.

However, with the name DUNLOP on it, this could have been a set for golfing!!  Taking a nip on the course was very common!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!