Author Topic: Very old ABP cut glass vase  (Read 2422 times)

hemster922

• View Profile
Very old ABP cut glass vase
« on: August 19, 2013, 01:07:58 pm »
I took this piece from my Mother who had it sitting in a corner on the floor with peacock feathers in it. Since I have a collection of crystal myself she gladly gave it to me though she believes it's not worth anything because it has a crack and a chip at the bottom. It was given to her by her Mother, who received it from HER Mother. [My Great-Grandmother]
Anyone know the significance of the value of such a piece - damaged? [[look at the bottom of the pics]]

gardenspotgal

• View Profile
Re: Very old ABP cut glass vase
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:20:14 pm »
I think that any crack or chip in glassware or china reduces the value considerably.   :(

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 05:32:49 am »
Gorgeous piece! Sadly, Gardenspot is right about the reduction in value. Maybe $50-$100, depending on the damage.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:41:32 am »
I would have gotten it off the floor too !! Just turn that damage to the back and use it !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 01:45:03 pm »
Totally agree!  The main thing is that it has lots of family history which is priceless!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hemster922

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 06:42:39 am »
I know, right?? On the floor in a corner, with these big ole' peacock feathers hanging out of it!
...she didn't know any better.
But I cleaned her up and put her up on my mantle and thats where she'll stay  ;D

Thanks!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:45:32 am »
Sorry but being a glass collector and in this market with the damage to your piece it will not even bring $50.00,   I will not give a class  ;) on tips to tell real ABP  but now is the time to buy it. The prices in this market are perfect and at some point will rebound.  True ABP was produced only from 1880 to shortly before WWI. ABP  has huge history & significance in the glass world!! Personally if the chip at the base is the only flaw I would look into seeing if it can be repaired by an EXPERT and keep this piece in the family. From the photos and what I can tell you have the real deal. But really needs a hands on.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:57:38 am by wendy177 »

hemster922

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 07:52:01 pm »
Thanks Wendy, I will heed your advice! I have quite a little collection of cut glass, and much more respect for the period pieces since I did my research.
This vase is the real deal! And although I promised my Mother I would attempt to sell it on ebay [to help her with some unexpected medical expenses], I put a reserve that won't be realized.
Here she is all cleaned up! She's beautiful!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 08:24:36 pm »
Its a beauty !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 03:23:37 am »
ABP is the bomb! ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford