Author Topic: Furniture Maker Label: Help Identify  (Read 5227 times)

susanU

• View Profile
Furniture Maker Label: Help Identify
« on: September 20, 2013, 10:27:46 am »
Hi fellow collectors:

I'm hoping someone here may recognize a damaged furniture label from the 40s era (Perhaps 30s?). It's on the underside of a leather-topped cocktail table. The rectangular label appears to have a gold background, red border and red, and black lettering. The only letters I can make out:

1. "All" in the top left

2. "Osec" ? in the middle top

3. "INE" in the center of the label

4. "MA" in the left corner

"#1159" is written on the underside of the table top and also imprinted on the underside of the stretcher.

I performed numerous google image searches, checked images of Arts & Crafts and MCM furniture shopmarks, searched 1stdibs and I have been unable to find anything that remotely resembles this label. I thought it might be a Sieling Modern Furniture label because of the gold and red coloring, but it doesn't seem to match up.

As you can see from the attached pics, the table appears to be a 1940s art deco piece with drop leaf ends, bronze sabots and a combination of woods: oak and mahogany perhaps?

I like a good mystery, but this piece is befuddling me. Thanks so much for your help. :) :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:13:49 am by susanU »

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: FurnitureMaker Label: Help Identify
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:32:43 am »
I'll preempt mart's request and ask for a 'clear' picture of its bottom ..... also a clearer picture of the label might help.

susanU

• View Profile
Re: Furniture Maker Label: Help Identify
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:54:31 am »

Thanks! Additional pics on their way.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:09:22 am »
Susan, where are you located?  (We have people from all over the world on here!)  It helps in deducing the likelihood of origin!

The legs, do they have metal feet on them?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

susanU

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:15:22 am »

Hi KC:

I'm in the US in the Boston area. Yes, the table legs have brass/metal feet.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 12:45:09 pm »
Well, its 40`s but not Deco !! Made on the Duncan Phyfe style line !! There were several variations of the reproductions although most only vaguely resembled his work !!  These were made by many furniture companies !!

Thanks Mario !! You saved me some typing !!

susanU

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 01:14:36 pm »

Thanks mart. Yes, it's Duncan Phyfe-ish without the claw feet. I thought the two-toned wood and the leather top gave it a Deco look, but I guess not. I really would like though, to identify the maker just for my own curiosity. I usually collect Mid Century Modern pieces, but this dusty old table was calling to me. I paid $15.00 for it at a thrift shop. The leather is torn and stained, but the finish just has superficial scratches. How much time I devote to restoring this piece may depend on the maker.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 01:34:56 pm »
Bet the label is a variation of the one on this table...Genuine Mahogany - Mahogany Association.  This used to be on the leather top tables quite often.  I have a set of leather top nesting tables that used to have the label on them!  Also note the feet on this table!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-antique-rare-round-leather-top-table-library-drum-drawer-old-rare-/321207453948
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:39:24 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 01:45:33 pm »
That's brilliant, KC

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 02:10:03 pm »
Thanks ipcress!

I have discovered over the years that they have done/made many labels to help "boost confidence" for the consumer...and this is one of those that was made and added to items.  If you search for "vintage furniture label, Mahogany Association", you will see many variations for them...they are post WWII.

About the association and it's purpose:  http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Antiques-682/2008/10/Mahogany-association-inc-2.htm

Another "elaborate" description of the trade organization (Mahogany Association, Inc.) that's purpose was to certify that the wood was imported mahogany and not dyed woods http://antiqueshoppefl.com/archives/ftaylor/qacol63.htm

A little more information on the tag http://www.designaddict.com/design_addict/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread_show_one/thread_id/3434/

Also, they do have a publication naming who was a member....
http://archive.org/details/FigureTypesInMahogany

There variation depending on who made it!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:15:49 pm by KC »

susanU

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:07:31 pm »
Thank you everyone! KC you are indeed, brilliant. You nailed it. I knew about the genuine mahogany stickers but have not come across a red and gold one. Now I need to get out my magnifying glass and see if I can decipher the manufacturer's number. I'm glad I joined your group. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 04:53:19 pm »
Rather than doing any major restoration, and since the wood just has minor scratches, try some Old English dark oil on the wood !! Just be careful to not get it on the leather since it will stain it dark as well !!  You may find that's all it needs !! I have several of these tables in storage and that's what I use on them !!

Ipcress

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 04:55:14 pm »
I think it's this

123 Imperial Furniture Co Grand Rapids, MI

There was one online a few years ago and they kindly took a picture of the sticker and it has that number on it
There's also a discussion on a furniture design forum and people mention that number for your style of table.

susanU

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 05:49:11 pm »

Hey mart:

After giving it a major scrubbing, that's exactly what I plan to do. You can't beat Old English! And it's cheap. Howard Restor-A-Finish is another product I've used with good results on minor surface scratches that don't require solvents.

ipcress: Thank you! I think you may be right about Imperial Furniture Co. I'm pretty happy now, knowing the origin of my little find.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 09:02:36 pm »
Thanks for the feedback susanU.  Glad to have you here.

Let us know how the makeover goes!  Post a pic when you finish!

Would like to know what you do with the leather!

I am considering redoing my leather on mine (not replacing...but some kind of face lift!)!