Author Topic: 1871 Civil War Era Lithograph "The Empty Sleeve"  (Read 4019 times)

ayden2008

• View Profile
1871 Civil War Era Lithograph "The Empty Sleeve"
« on: October 26, 2013, 03:26:41 pm »
I recently came across this Lithograph and was wondering if anyone new off the history of it It value. And help would be greatly appreciated! I got this from a older gentlemen, around 70, that said it was given to him from his father long time ago. The title of the lithograph is "The Empty Sleeve." What A Tell Tale Thing Is An Empty Sleeve. It says it was drawn by Miss A.R. Sawyer and Engraved by J.C. Buttre. Published by George Stinson & CO. Portland, Maine. Above that it says "Entered according to act of Congress AD 1871 by JC Buttre in the Clerk's Office of the District Court of the southern District of New York. It's I'm the original frame still it seems with the original hanging hardware and wooden backing. It is portraying a Civil War Soldier after his Return Home having to explain to his daughter how he lost his arm and why. The Lithograph is around 16"x23" in size. It looks to be on thicker paper and has aging and even discoloring as you can see (marks and that are in the glass itself). And that's pretty much all I know about this, so I am turning to the experts. You guys are always do helpful! Thanks!

ayden2008

• View Profile
Re: 1871 Civil War Era Lithograph "The Empty Sleeve"
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 03:29:27 pm »
A few more pics...

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 03:39:10 pm »
I  work in Portland, Maine where the printer was.  I believe that is a steel engraving.  Those can go from a few hundred dollars up to several thousand depending on subject and current popularity.  Personally I would think it would be a good price because it is civil war and that would be collectable.

ayden2008

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 04:07:15 pm »
Wow really, that's great to know! I too think it would be highly collectable because the subject matter. Thanks for you input!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 07:02:18 pm »
Did you buy this from or was this listed on liveauctioneers ??  This was done by Abigail R. Sawyer born in 1831,,didn`t find date of death !! She did several drawings that evidently were purchased by different publishers !! They were also made into note cards !! Original price of this was $5.00 for the engraving and $2.50 for regular print !!  Big money during her time !!  Sales record on these was under $50. !!

ayden2008

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:51:03 pm »
no I bought this from the older gentleman over here in san antonio, texas. So is this a good thing or a bad thing? The stuff that your saying...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:03:25 pm »
That is a matter of interpretation I think !! She didn`t do a lot and I didn`t see anything that made me think she was very popular !!  But since this is a civil war period drawing and there are many collectors,, its sure worth keeping !!  You might try to find info on her through geneology sites !! Might be something interesting historically !!

ayden2008

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 09:02:01 pm »
Yea I couldn't find much on her, but I did however find lots in the entrance JC Buttre. His lithographs similar I'm size to this one went for around $500-$600 in art gallery auctions. He also has items in museums. Of the items I saw sold though none were of any topic. They were just random people or a scenery. Mine is atleast a desirable topic thankfully. And I didn't pay a lot for this. I got lucky and got it for only $10. The man didn't even know his wife put it to sell and then saw me walk out with it and started yelling at his wife! I offered give it back but he said no he would take it up with his wife and then he began to tell me how his father gave it to him and his father before that.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 10:52:05 am »
I am curious,, is there a little piece torn from the top edge ??  Around the middle ??

ayden2008

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 11:00:45 am »
No there's nothing torn or anything like that. The glass is dirty, haven't cleaned it.