Author Topic: Is this really Whistlers signature?  (Read 5458 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Is this really Whistlers signature?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 04:30:42 pm »
Am i missing something here ?
you got out did ya........

;D  Whilst Ratched was looking the other way.

Icegold - look at this picture upside down.

Someone's done their own interpretation.

Cuckoo!!
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 06:17:44 pm »
My money is staying in my pocket!  Thanks everyone!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 10:05:39 pm »
NICE CATCH ipcress!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2013, 05:42:26 am »
Ok, the painting sold for $1001.00.   http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=14746632     Will be interesting to see what it turns out to be.  Either way I would have never gone that high.  I'm way to cheap. lol

Ipcress

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 06:50:14 am »
Whistler painted the picture i posted an image of in 1903.

So in the same year Dorothy Seton then painted the hand holding the apple, upside down, with the same strands of hair visible?!!

" Dorothy Seton - A Daughter Of Eve ". in quote marks suggests whoever wrote that is giving the title of the piece this was based on, not who it was painted by. They then wrote " after Master James A McNeil Whistler ".

The writing after this is possibly a signature.

Each to their own but that wasn't painted by Seton or Whistler. The price is neither here not there. Just someone taking a punt or someone who doesn't know art hoping it's an original.

Yesterday on tv i watched an expert on Antiques Road Trip ( two experts competing against each other to buy and sell for profit ) buy a repro skulls head mount ( sometimes used by bikers, SS etc ) and then buy a walking stick. He attached the two items together and made sure the skulls head stuck by using cellotape / sticky back plastic.

It cost him about £50 altogether. It sold at auction for £200 because the buyer thought it was a genuine piece. Personally, i thought it was a terrible thing to do, even though the money goes to charity, because it showed an expert trying to con the public.

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2013, 09:21:57 am »
I think they are hoping it is an original but after further viewing it the paint strokes on the hand and apple are not Whistler's work.  He would have blended much more as he was known for.  That was the part that bothered me even though I like the painting.  Bet someone runs to the auction house with it to be disappointed. 

Ipcress

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2013, 09:34:44 am »
A Whistler oil is six figures.

$1,000 for this is too much but nowhere near enough for a Whistler. The listing also claims it's by Dorothy Seton, although it's clearly been listed by someone who doesn't know what they're looking at.

Looks like a mid 20th art class job to me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2013, 09:54:30 am »
Still trying to figure if I was correct or not ??  Thought at first it may have been by her then decided it wasn`t !!