Author Topic: A. Prosperi Jesus of Prague first one made  (Read 2545 times)

icedgold10

• View Profile
A. Prosperi Jesus of Prague first one made
« on: December 09, 2013, 07:33:42 pm »
I pick this up and it is signed and numbered number 1.  It is the first one he made.  Does anyone know more about the artist?  Will it make him worth more being the first one made?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: A. Prosperi Jesus of Prague first one made
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 11:58:39 am »
Found a few that were sold on etsy (doesn't show what for).  Is yours chalkware?  Because all of the original "real" ones are chalkware.

This one must be yours because it says it is the first one!  Have it priced for around what the others are listed for!  However, if you go to COMPLETED listings, the ones that have sold are selling much less than this!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Prosperi-Jesus-Infant-Of-Prague-Chalkware-Religious-Statue-18-1st-one-/221334261157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33888ccda5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Infant-Jesus-of-Prague-Statue-signed-by-A-Prosperi-Italy-c1930s-/131016166190

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 12:16:26 pm »
If there are others that are #1,, would put this into "not original or #1" category !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 01:34:16 pm »
its more than likely original....I,ve seen these for sale in the Old Town..in Prague,...with a price tag that would have made your eyes water....and it was described as being .."one of the first made"....which indicated there was more than one.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 07:17:37 pm »
That defies logic !! If I make something it is #1,,if I make another that is exactly the same,,it cannot be #1,,has to be #2 and on down the line !!  But if you make a bunch of things and all are #1,,everybody buying them is getting ripped off !!
My simple mind says it was #1 of a series of images,, he did do more !! Then to have them all #1 would be correct !!
Like icedgold10 thinks hers is the first one made when it could well be the 50th !!  Its a simple sales gimmick otherwise !!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:28:19 pm by mart »

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:24:34 pm »
KC that one is mine.   Mart these are numbered and if you look at the ones on Etsy they are numbered 241 and so.  This is the 1st one of this artist and it is chalkware.  As for asking price it is all about perceived value in the marketing world.  That's why retail gets such high prices in stores and catalogs.  I work for a large catalog company and it is very common practice to set the bar.  If people purchased on true cost of making an item as value of the item we wouldn't have any place to shop.  He is a quality piece and well worth that price.  Look at gold values.  What is gold?  A metallic element found from a natural earth creation and we pay big time for it.  It's a lot about speculation and future value as well.  One mans trash is another's treasure. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 09:00:44 pm »
My only concern...is so many items say made in Italy.  But the © is used in the US...does Italy use it?  Yes it could be made as an import.  Just wondering.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:35:15 pm »
My only concern...is so many items say made in Italy.  But the © is used in the US...does Italy use it?  Yes it could be made as an import.  Just wondering.

My understanding is that the copyright symbol is only used in America !!  I think Italy uses a registration system similar to the UK !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 05:47:35 am »
The statue doesn't say made in Italy just the makers name. So it may be made here.