Author Topic: Old Swedish Herbarium  (Read 1540 times)

dondon1903

• View Profile
Old Swedish Herbarium
« on: December 12, 2013, 03:33:05 am »
Hi There,

The Swedes love their 'old stuff' auctions and second hand shops (Loppis)!

We picked up a trailer load of .... what can only be described as 'miscellaneous things' from an auction near Oskarhamn.

Something in particular has interested us and I wonder if anyone has come across this sort of thing before. It was listed as a Herbarium. It's mainly a collection of around 100 (I havent counted them) pressed grasses/herbs/flowers in paper foleders. These are all dated and signed for around 1922.

Also in the same lot, there was a separate book of pressed plants titles, 'Svenska Fodervexta' (roughly translated means Swedish Forage Plants). This is appears to be dated 1851. It's a folder containing around 30-40 samples (an example is shown. It's the one without the separate label). The name on the cover is J Bjurzon (which appears to be different from the signature).

I've done a wee bit of googling on the name, J Bjurzon and got the following:-

"Bjurzon, Jonas (1810-1882), Swedish (Varmland) botanist, studied at the University of
Uppsala from 1838. (Bjurzon).

herbarium and types: See KR p. 87, no. 2: Svenska Fodervexter, exsiccatae of fodderplants,
2 fasc, each 35 plants on 23 leaves (fide KR), see Bot. Not. 1851: 221.

bibliography and biography: Barnhart 1: 193; BM 1: 168; KR p. 87 (b. 11 Jul 1810, d. 26
Jun 1882); PR 804; Rehder 1: 354; Tucker 1: 86.

21.391. Skandinaviens vdxtfamiljer i sammandrag framstallda ... Upsala (Wahlstrom & C.)
1846. Oct. (Skand. vdxtfam.).

PubL: 1846, p. [i-viii], [1]-100, folded table. Copy: NY. "

Doesnt really mean much to me I'm afraid...

Would really be interested in any info relating to this sort of thing. I find it quite fascinating ....

The whole lot cost about the equivalent of just under £2 .. :o

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 11:06:30 am by dondon1903 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Old Swedish Herbarium
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 08:42:47 am »
This could have been a study that was published or he tried to get published !! Have you looked for copies on the net ??
Botanicals were very popular during Victorian era !! 

dondon1903

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:02:38 am »
Hello,

I've tried to find similar things on the net. Vintage French and Swedish 'herbariums' seem to be reasonably well known (if you are a mover in the 'herbarium world' it seems ...  ;))..

There are quite a few individual pages of vintage herbaria from the same era for sale that have been framed by a seller, Julie Harris "http://www.julieharrisllc.com/7618").

Since I posted this I tried searching on his full name (rather than J Bjurzon, I searched Jonas Bjurzon ... silly me!) and it came up with some more details. It seems a book of his was re-published in february last year. The 'blurb' on Amazon describes him as culturally important.

I'm not sure if, in fact it could be unlikely that these are actually his works. However there is clearly some kind of link and date on the book of pressed plants ties in with when I guess he would have been active.

The other sheets of flowers were in the 1920s which of course is several years after his death.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 12:00:55 pm »
Always possible that some of his family saved this and if it wasn`t of their interest,,discarded it !! I would look and see if some of his family can be located !! I found little here searching his full name as a botanist !!

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 01:12:00 pm »
Hi There,

The Swedes love their 'old stuff' auctions and second hand shops (Loppis)!

We picked up a trailer load of .... what can only be described as 'miscellaneous things' from an auction near Oskarhamn.

Something in particular has interested us and I wonder if anyone has come across this sort of thing before. It was listed as a Herbarium. It's mainly a collection of around 100 (I havent counted them) pressed grasses/herbs/flowers in paper foleders. These are all dated and signed for around 1922.

Also in the same lot, there was a separate book of pressed plants titles, 'Svenska Fodervexta' (roughly translated means Swedish Forage Plants). This is appears to be dated 1851. It's a folder containing around 30-40 samples (an example is shown. It's the one without the separate label). The name on the cover is J Bjurzon (which appears to be different from the signature).

I've done a wee bit of googling on the name, J Bjurzon and got the following:-

"Bjurzon, Jonas (1810-1882), Swedish (Varmland) botanist, studied at the University of
Uppsala from 1838. (Bjurzon).

herbarium and types: See KR p. 87, no. 2: Svenska Fodervexter, exsiccatae of fodderplants,
2 fasc, each 35 plants on 23 leaves (fide KR), see Bot. Not. 1851: 221.

bibliography and biography: Barnhart 1: 193; BM 1: 168; KR p. 87 (b. 11 Jul 1810, d. 26
Jun 1882); PR 804; Rehder 1: 354; Tucker 1: 86.

21.391. Skandinaviens vdxtfamiljer i sammandrag framstallda ... Upsala (Wahlstrom & C.)
1846. Oct. (Skand. vdxtfam.).

PubL: 1846, p. [i-viii], [1]-100, folded table. Copy: NY. "

Doesnt really mean much to me I'm afraid...

Would really be interested in any info relating to this sort of thing. I find it quite fascinating ....

The whole lot cost about the equivalent of just under £2 .. :o

What you're looking at there, after his name etc, are references to well respected or seminal text books where he is mentioned, the page it is mentioned on.  Alfred Rehder  and John Hendley Barnhart are the authors of those works.
The edition they have was published in 1846. pi-viii means there are 8 pages of preface

These were first published 1836. This is volume 2 of 2.

Obviously had two previous owners who've used it.

dondon1903

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 03:45:00 am »
Thanks guys. I'll keep digging around... :)