Author Topic: Limoges(?) bowl  (Read 959 times)

porcelainNewbie

• View Profile
Limoges(?) bowl
« on: November 27, 2016, 06:16:57 am »
I have a bowl that appears to be from Limoges (that style, anyway), but has no markings on the back at all. Any idea how to identify it?

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: Limoges(?) bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:48:44 am »
Not a clue BUT! there are pottery people in here that will be along and can probably help out.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 07:37:39 am »
What many people do not know is that Limoges blanks were imported into the US and decorated here !!  Some by studio decorators and others by hobbyists !!  That is likely why your piece is unmarked !!  The flowers in the center and in the cameo are transfers,, the gold is applied by hand !! However one of the Limoges trademarks is a heavy gilding on the accent areas,,it did not wear off like yours has !!  So I bet that your bowl is one that was decorated here in the Limoges style !!  By who is just a guess !!  Sorry,, but it is a very pretty bowl in the Limoges style !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 11:25:09 am »
Ditto what Mart said.

There were also many "Limoges-like" items imported from Germany that were brought in as blanks and hand painted.  It is also VERY TRUE that the gilding on Limoges items are much longer lasting.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!