Author Topic: Need Advice on Restoring/Framing an Old Painting  (Read 2184 times)

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
Need Advice on Restoring/Framing an Old Painting
« on: December 24, 2013, 08:34:45 am »
A few years ago I bought this awesome mini portrait. As much as I love it I was never crazy about the frame (which I am told was probably made by the artist) It's falling apart,I have it taped together and sitting on a small table easel. Well, with some extra money I have for the Holidays, I'd like to see what I can do to display this painting properly. I decided not to have any restoration done to the painting itself. I personally think it adds some charm to the painting and am afraid to tinker with something so delicate. The frame on the other hand is a different story.

Looking for some advice here. Should I keep the frame I have and just try to fix it a little or should I look for another antique frame that would fit the size? Or,should I just get a regular frame that looks old? I don't want anything to elaborate. I like keeping it rather simple. I'd love to hear any suggestions.

Also, does anyone know of a good place that does antique painting restoration or framing? I'd consider sending it to a place if they had a good reputation and was recommended. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Ipcress

Re: Need Advice on Restoring/Framing an Old Painting
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 08:56:44 am »
Have to admit it looks a bit weird. Like modern faces on an 18th century painting.

It's oil on panel, yes ?

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 09:20:46 am »
Yes,its on a panel. I was told it was rare to have the subjects smile in portraits like these. One of the subjects is an artist(not clear if he was one who did this painting) along with his two brothers. I always thought they looked like Happy little Hobbits.

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 11:33:47 am »
Yeah ! guy on the right looks like Louis CK.

Just looks odd. And that smirk is highly unusual,as is the lack of detail / character in the faces. Like someone has restored it at some point by painting new faces !

I would keep the original frame but display in something else.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 12:39:11 pm »
A quirky little painting , to my eyes , Marc-Barr ...

Sorta reminiscent of some skills used in replica 'icons' seen coming out of Russia , after the 'fall' of the old Soviet Union ....

I sure don't know who did the painting , but it looks like a rather modern (as in facial expressions , white teeth , etc.) depiction of 3 rakes !

Perhaps the three Muskatels ?
 :)
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 12:59:57 pm »
I just discovered that I posted about this right after I got it here in this forum,so I answered some of my questions already. The painting is titled 'The Three Carracci'. Lodovico, Agostino & Annibale.

Here is a link to my original thread on this.

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=7790.0

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 04:04:49 pm »
Just finished reading your old thread !!  Is the frame coming loose at the joints ??

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 05:43:20 pm »
I'd say yes. Only part I have taped from the back in the middle image staying in tact. Edges are okay, some are loose,but not really separated.......yet . Like I said, I've grown to really like the frame. I like the fact that A) it's original and B) It's so simple. Thanks again.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 08:23:47 pm »
Is the frame plaster covered then painted !! Where it is chipped whatever the frame was covered with looks to be thick !!
If it were me,, I would just keep the entire thing as it is,,You can stabilize the corners easy enough with a little wood glue and a large syringe to inject it (get it from a vet) work from the front if possible because the glue will run to the back,,then clamp it just till barely snug,, too much will crack the surface more,,then do the opposite sides.  Wipe any excess that shows on the front or back but always keep it right side up !!  When that is done take it to a frame shop and get a backing and dust cover put on !! Might cost $5.00 !! Do not put glass on the front !! That was your last question from the old thread,  Just keep it dusted !! Most conservators use a cleaner similar to an artificial saliva to clean the surface !! It will do no damage so if you have enough spit,, that will work to clean it !! Sounds bad but that's the best !! Just be glad the painting is small !!  :D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:47:23 pm by mart »