Author Topic: Coffee table value  (Read 1796 times)

Dogaman

• View Profile
Coffee table value
« on: December 26, 2013, 05:45:13 pm »
Greetings,

Hubby brought me home another 'find'. While I'm not a fan of coffee tables, this one sings to me. It has all the original tin (?) feet  (sorry the pic is blurry) and hardware. The only issue is the table surface: stained, missing a piece of veneer, etc. (See pic.) There are no maker's mark that we can find.

I was wondering what the value would be if we left as is and what it would it be if we refinished/resurfaced the top?

Thanks.

Dogaman

• View Profile
Re: Coffee table value
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 05:47:07 pm »
More pics.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 06:25:43 pm »
The coffee table is from the 40`s when half of the furniture mfrs in America were copying Duncan Phyfe styling in various ways !!  The foot caps are either plated tin or thin brass sheet !!  Value either way,, not a lot,,$30. to $50. !! I would not spend the money or the effort to refinish unless it is for your own use !! Try going over it completely with Old English scratch cover !! The dark stuff,, that might hide enough to make it usable !!

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 06:37:44 pm »
Thanks, Mart. It's just about what we are thinking. Hubby will keep an eye out for some matching veneer. In the mean time, I'll try the Old English (I already have some in my stock). 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 06:59:06 pm »
If yer after a coffee table...i could make you one.....and it would be unique...as no one else in the world would ever be able copy it....exactly...i made this one in 4 days,

I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 07:05:10 pm »
Wull,

Thanks, but no. I am not really a fan of coffee tables, especially with a medium size dog that likes to play fetch by himself in the house! Besides, the shipping would bankrupt me!

Love your work, though!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 07:36:49 pm »
With shipping prices you might need a bank loan to pay for it !!  And Jan. 1st first class postage is going up again !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 09:11:47 pm »
Nice little table!  Love that style still!

If you want an easy fix up (if the Old English doesn't work - great idea by-the-wa Mart), then you can get a piece of glass cut to fit within the border and put anything you want under the glass (vintage pics, etc)  or paint the underside of the glass a similar color to the wood to show through!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Dogaman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 09:22:19 pm »
KC,

The picture idea ran through my mind...it will be a great little project for when my sister moves down. She'll love this little table!

Another idea is to get a piece of glass, like you said, and some sort of glass peal and stick etching from the hardware store....hmmm, got me thinking. Sometimes, that isn't good!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 09:27:32 pm »
And another thought....

Tables back from that time also had leather pieces/inserts on them.  You could always do that!
(search images with "vintage table with leather inset")
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!