Author Topic: Antique Book Box? HELP?  (Read 1580 times)

2x4misc

Antique Book Box? HELP?
« on: December 23, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »
Hello Again,

I come to the group again with another Estate Sale mystery (to me). I bought it as a bible Box but am using it to store my pocket watches.  It measures about 9.5" x 13" x 5". I posted a few pictures up here for the team here to view.

Thanks in advance for taking a look!!

- Ray

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:49:09 am by 2x4misc »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Antique Book Box?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:26:14 am »
Bump!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 06:16:49 am »
With that Fragonard style plaque on the cover, one might have expected to open it and discover a music box.
Maybe it's multifunctional - perfume bottles and creams, or ink bottles and writing accessories...keepi ng those love letters safe. There does appear to be an ink stain on the base so it was probably on someone's desk at some point.
 Maybe have been an internal compartment which has been removed when someone decided to use it for something else.

Bible box seems unlikely although that's not to say you couldn't keep a bible in there !

2x4misc

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 06:27:40 pm »
What time frame would you say this box is from?

-Ray

2x4misc

Re: Antique Book Box? HELP?
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 08:50:04 am »
Bump...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 01:26:50 pm »
Ipcress, my first impression was the French (Frangonard) style as well...and the hardware is also reminiscent of French style from early 1900's.

I think it is currently multifuntional...an d the way that the front opens up leads me to believe for writing implements originally (agree on ink stain) So that it's contents could remain upright (taller bottles).  This could have also been highly prized to be on a ladies' vanity to hold perfumes as well!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 07:51:17 am »
Agree with all that !

2x4misc

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 02:54:32 pm »
Thanks for the information - really appreciate it as usual.

- Ray