Author Topic: Fine porcelain Tea Set  (Read 3250 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Fine porcelain Tea Set
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 07:51:29 pm »
Sure does ,,doesn`t it ??  Never noticed that !!

Audrey and Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 11:22:50 am »
Thanks for the ideas about origin. I wondered why it says "Popcelain"! It feels like a porcelain piece. I can't find Argo South America, and it looks more like a Japanese porcelain tea set to me. Can you call this "Lusterware"? And is the gold a "gold plate" or "paint"? I have attached a picture of the set, maybe not valuable but would be fun to serve tea or coffee in.

Ipcress

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 11:34:24 am »
Honestly think it's likely to be Japanese in origin, although where it was produced i think value is minimal despite being a fine looking tea set.

One of those items that an auctioneer would value at £5-10 but someone out there might happily pay £30-40 for.

Precious metals, known brands and items which are sold regularly are quite easy to value. Others which are more subjective in appearance - well there isn't one valuer out there who hasn't been made to look foolish before.
And if we're happy with owning an antique and it suits your home and personality, then value is almost inconsequential.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 12:38:21 pm »
The gold is likely the same as with other sets from that era !! Some is a thin 14K gold and is applied like a paint but when fired is very pretty !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 04:10:19 pm »
Nice set and if you like it that makes it better.

Not alot of value in these pieces right now. 

Do think it looks like so many of the pieces that came from Japan and weren't marked.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 05:01:57 pm »
Just use it and enjoy it !! Maybe invite us all to have coffee some day !!