Author Topic: Any information on this very small basket?  (Read 1295 times)

Hammyfam

• View Profile
Any information on this very small basket?
« on: July 13, 2023, 08:43:48 am »
This basket has been in my family for as long as I can remember but I know nothing about it.  Some people have called it an herb basket, some a bottom basket, and many others.  Can anyone tell me what it actually is and its approximate age?  I’m having to sell my mothers items to support her assisted living and didn’t know where to start with this loved item.  It’s about 6”x6”.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Any information on this very small basket?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 12:44:43 am »
Hi!
What a beautiful basket!  How wonderful that it has been passed thru the family.
 Can you please post a picture of the bottom of the basket?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 07:04:18 am »
Lovely basket! Yours is in great shape and has nice dark patina. These were used for gathering eggs and the shape of the bottom allows it to be easily rested on the withers of a horse, with the rider steadying the basket with a single hand. Prices vary from about $20 - $100 for the small ones on eBay. Search for antique egg basket. That said, I would offer it first to family members and try to keep it in the family. Give them an opportunity to help your loved one and rescue a lovely heirloom.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 11:45:15 pm »
I knew I had that style purpose somewhere in the back of my mind!  Thanks Talesof for refreshing my memory!   Great advice!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 08:26:39 am »
Glad I could provide a little info! I wonder who was balancing a basket on a long ride home and came up wuth that design?
Antiqueaholic in recovery