Author Topic: Old Pictures  (Read 2434 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Old Pictures
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:13:49 pm »
Here's some old pictures that were a recent purchase. Three of them are about 3 by 3 1/2 inches and the older one is about 2 by 2 1/2 inches.

The little girl that is holding the large book doesn't seem too happy about having her photograph taken or being there. I think she actually looks a little annoyed with the whole situation.

Is the Large Book that is on her there to hold her in the chair?

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Re: Old Pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:39:05 pm »
These are great!  Where did you get them? They are daguerreotypes. They are in memory of a loved one. The people in other words are diseased. Did you pay a lot. There are many on eBay.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:41:21 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:45:31 pm »
You could also look up ambrotype.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:06:04 am »
Two on the right look like parcel gilt whereas the two on the left appear finer. Might be gold, plated or rolled.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:27:55 am »
Greenacres, thanks for the info, I like these type of old photo's too. I didn't pay too much for them since I bought them at a thrift store. I'm still looking for one with a Bulldog in it.

The picture with the boy in it reminds of Tom Sawyer / Huckleberry Finn. The pictures had black soot on the glass from probably sitting above a fire place a long time ago. I had to clean the glass on the outside. I still have to clean the glass on the inside (not the pictures).

Ipcress, thanks, I agree the two on the left look like they are gold plated or rolled although I did look and didn't see any markings on the case.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:09:57 pm »
Greenacres, I am curious what gives you the indication that they are postmortem? The kids look alive to me.

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 01:17:10 pm »
I don't think she means postmortem in the picture.  I think she means the pictures are placed in the case after a person dies as a memorial more.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 01:28:54 pm »
They were quite alive when they were taken !! Memorial photos were usually postmortem !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 04:26:14 pm »
You can tell if a photo is a daguerreotype in two ways. Daguerreotypes will reflect in a mirror like way, making the image look kind of like a photo negative when it is held at an angle. Ambrotype images stay consistent at an angle and if you VERY carefully remove them from the case and remove the gold colored foil frame you can peek at the reverse side. If it is painted black, you have an ambrotype for sure.

If it is an ambrotype it dates to a pretty narrow window of time. This technology was discovered in 1854, was at it's peak of popularity 1856 -1860 and fell out of favor 1861 - 1866 when the more durable tintype images grew in popularity. This site has a lot of good info and helped me identify my ambrotype: http://www.phototree.com/identify.htm

Do not under any circumstance remove the clear glass plate that protects the photographic glass plate. If you touch the original image, you will have permanent fingerprints on it. Be very careful with the foil frame too.

People had their photos taken for all types of occasions (like marriages). They were not limited to death or because death was imminent. Photography was all the rage and everyone wanted their picture taken!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 07:21:04 pm »
Thanks talesofthesevens, great information you've provided and site link!

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 01:16:12 pm »
Greenacres, thanks for the info, I like these type of old photo's too. I didn't pay too much for them since I bought them at a thrift store. I'm still looking for one with a Bulldog in it.

The picture with the boy in it reminds of Tom Sawyer / Huckleberry Finn. The pictures had black soot on the glass from probably sitting above a fire place a long time ago. I had to clean the glass on the outside. I still have to clean the glass on the inside (not the pictures).

Ipcress, thanks, I agree the two on the left look like they are gold plated or rolled although I did look and didn't see any markings on the case.

You're very unlikely to see marks but they were sometimes gold plated. Have seen a few go for silly money because they were gold

Value sometimes in the frame but more often in the image.