Author Topic: Pair of lamps are a mystery but supposedly valuable  (Read 2698 times)

penobscottian

• View Profile
Pair of lamps are a mystery but supposedly valuable
« on: February 25, 2014, 02:26:43 pm »
A friend has clearing out an attic and found these two old lamps.    She recalls her mom saying they were worth about $500 each.   Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:34:26 pm by penobscottian »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Pair of lamps are a mystery but supposedly valuable
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 03:04:16 pm »
Hi!  Welcome!

Are there any marking/labels on them?

Can you please post a picture of the whole lamp?  Also post dimensions.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

penobscottian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 03:27:12 pm »
No markings or labels.    Will get dimensions and post soon but it was about 4 ft tall and perhaps 40 pounds each.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 04:05:14 pm »
If the wiring is original,, take a pic of it and the plug too please !! Look at the bottom for possible mark or name !! Could be a foundry mark there !! Also the fixture/socket that holds the bulb could have a name that would help !! Check to see what size bub it takes !!  Large base or regular !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 11:34:00 am »
If the wiring is original,, take a pic of it and the plug too please !! Look at the bottom for possible mark or name !! Could be a foundry mark there !! Also the fixture/socket that holds the bulb could have a name that would help !! Check to see what size bub it takes !!  Large base or regular !!
Mart, you forgot to ask for a picture of the bottom... ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 01:45:36 pm »
LOL !!  Yeah I did !! Figured he could read it better than me !!  ;D

Mart, you forgot to ask for a picture of the bottom... ;D

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:06:55 pm »
They look about three and a half feet tall if I sized them right from the width of the glass shade which should be eight inches. Maybe a bit taller. I would say they are made by either Rembrandt or Stiffel from the middle of the last century. Maybe as early as the 30s but most likely the 40s or 50s. The white glass shade is known as an IES (Illuminating Engineering Society, I used to be a member) shade and was designed to provide equal amounts of uplight and side light. A cloth drum shade with three notched wires would sit atop it and cover the lamp down to a few inches from where the decorative metal starts. They are usually a base metal with a brass finish. They cost a lot when new but the market is very limited for that style right now. The style in this ad is referred to as Hollywood Regency. See link below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221000359181?lpid=82
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:15:05 pm by frogpatch »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:23:52 pm »
There is our lamp expert !! Figured you might take a look at these !! Nice lamps though !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:34:27 pm »
Like everything else they will become popular again. I had a pair of porcelain ones that size and someone bought them on eBay. I said in the ad I would not ship the shades because they cost too much due to size and they were ready to crumble. The person that bought them insisted I ship the shades. When I told her how much the shipping was she asked for a refund. I gave it to her and in turn got a negative feedback. You can't win with some people. I do not miss the Ebay days.

penobscottian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 05:40:12 pm »
The two lamps had different bulbs and shades which leads me to believe they were added later.   I removed them for the following pictures.   Lamp measures 44 inches top to bottom.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 05:46:17 pm »
Think Frogpatch was right,, likely 40`s or so !!

penobscottian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 04:27:43 pm »
Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions.   I've got a better idea of what it is and what it's worth.   Starting to find many similar items now that I have a name to google but have yet to find the same model.    Will keep looking.