Author Topic: Gold coins found !!  (Read 4156 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Gold coins found !!
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 07:50:04 am »
Part of the water problem in California is because people in the north are trying to keep those minnows alive !! Come on people,, they are fish bait,, and I can guarantee that if they are gone tomorrow humanity will not miss them !! If they want to preserve the species,which personally I see no benefit from, just move the minnows !! If they don`t make it,,then chalk it up to the natural cycle of life and move on !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 11:11:37 am »
Why Mart, I am aghast that you would say such a thing!   :0  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 04:36:10 pm »
Now Mart, ..... farmer common sense/mentality ....... just don't get it with the bleeding heart liberal greenie conservationists.

That bunch of whackos haven't figured it out yet that they are dead set on destroying and/or dismanteling everything that they are absolutely dependent on for keeping themselves alive.

At least most of the Hippies of the 60's/70's who formed their communes in the wilds of nature had some sort of talent or training that aided in their survival.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 06:40:33 pm »
Oh Yeah !! KC I really can`t stand the stupidity of some of those people !!  I am all for conservasion of species within reason !!  But at what point did they figure that minnows were better than people ??  What is the importance of these two inch fish that wouldn`t even be a good sardine !!

Cogar,, the hippies may have picked a flower or two,,but I bet if it was a choice between people eating ,and being able to support their families or saving fish bait,, I think the people would have won !!  They may have been a little weird but they weren`t dumb !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 10:28:16 pm »
Mart, I am rolling on the floor.  Did you check your blood pressure?  Sorry, couldn't resist the fun earlier!

We have a dear friend that was a logger and suddenly a protected owl showed up in the forest that they were to thin.  The conservationists had been fighting it then this.  The local Indians said they had never seen this before this time.  But once there....  Sad thing that happened...hundreds lost their jobs...but MORE IMPORTANTLY...the forest couldn't be thinned and over the years the dead wood fell between the vibrant trees and became a fire hazard.  And yep...eventually turned into a massive blaze that burned the entire forest!  :(
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rdelgallo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 10:49:22 pm »
I may have missed part of this story, what was that with part of the coins being stolen??

Ipcress

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 04:13:53 am »
The SF mint now says the coins are not their's.

Probably because the government isn't in the rare coin business it is to their benefit not claim them and instead allow the IRS to encircle the find with various tax requirements. :P

;D

Still something very odd about this.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 06:05:16 am »
The face value of the Saddle Ridge treasure is over $28,000 and consists of 1,427 gold coins all dating from 1847 to 1894.

That’s 48 years of collecting coins ….. by someone …. who apparently buried them one (1) can full at a time ….. and thus negating any possibility that their source was via a robbery.

Now whether they were earned by the hoarder via the sale of good or services …. or they were stolen 1 or 2 at a time, we will never know.  But we do know “history repeated itself” for a short time. (see below)

(extracted from a new Wikipedia article)

After Mary noticed the can, John bent down to pick it up, but found that it was stuck in the dirt. He began to use a piece of wood to pry it from the ground. It was so heavy that they believed that the can likely held lead paint. On their walk back to their house, struggling to carry the weight of the find, the lid of the can cracked open, revealing the glint of gold. They returned to the site with some hand tools to see if they could find anything else. They found another can about a foot away from where the first can was discovered. Although it was partially decomposed due to rust, it held several more coins. They continued to return to the site to look for more coins, primarily digging in the ground and eventually using a metal detector. Their work eventually resulted in the discovery of eight (8 ) cans filled with over 1,400 coins.

After their discovery, the couple protected their find by hiding them in an old ice chest, then burying it under a pile of wood and concealing the location.  ;D ;D
Read more @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle_Ridge_Hoard

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:06:58 am by cogar »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 11:31:38 am »
Cogar, that's the same one !!  It just now made the news !!