Author Topic: Greek Orthodox Icon Find  (Read 8609 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Greek Orthodox Icon Find
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 09:37:46 am »
I love stuffed vine (grape) leaves along side of feta cheese and calamata olives and a wine called Retsina. Retsina tastes like pine tar if you drink it without feta cheese. It is a weird combo but it works.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 10:11:42 am »
Since pine tar is a common medicine for deep cuts on horses,,,Kinda blows the idea of drinking anything that tastes like it !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 11:14:10 am »
Taken from one of my favorite websites called Wise Geek

Retsina is a unique wine product made almost exclusively in Greece. It is made with a base of white or rosé wine that is flavored with pine resin. The wine is quite pungent, and not to everyone's taste. However, the Greeks have been making and drinking it for over three thousand years, and people often find it more enjoyable when it is paired with Greek foods. Retsina also varies widely in quality, and an inferior product can taste suspiciously like turpentine. Consulting the staff at a Greek wine store may be the best way to find a good wine.

The name for retsina is derived from a Latin word, resina. The official explanation for the drink has it roots in early wine making practices. Lacking airtight containers for fermentation, many early white wines soured as a result of exposure to oxygen. To stave off this problem, wine makers covered their wine jugs in pine pitch, the same material used to waterproof boats. The pitch effectively sealed the containers so that the wine did not spoil, and consumers developed a taste for the resulting resinous wine.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 11:32:29 am »
i,ve had Retsina....not a fav, i enjoyed Metaxa....octopussy is for my supper...washed down with an ice cold Stella,.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 12:29:02 pm »
I have an interesting Greek story.  In my hometown, there was a restaurant owned by the Pettus family (Greek family, who were good friends with my family).  They had everything but also had Greek food that was amazing!!!  When their eldest daughter married the wedding was amazing...food and dancing beyond compare.

Back to the story, Mr. Pettus brother, who lived in Greece had committed a crime that required him to go to prison (I am sorry I don't remember the crime...will ask my dad later if he remembers).  The law in Greece allowed that Mr. Pettus in the US (oldest brother) could go and serve the time for his brother in Greece.  So, Mr. Pettus went and served several years in prison for him.  Still amazes me!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 12:51:50 pm »
That is an amazing story. Talk about brotherly love. Is that true for all crimes? Imagine if we did that. John Gotti's brother serving his sentence for him? Scary!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 06:59:30 am »
There is classic Greek lettering on the front that I uncovered after cleaning. Does anyone know how to interpret this. I was able to determine many of the letters but I still have know idea what it means.

Ipcress

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2013, 09:43:41 am »
Just means The Nativity or Birth Of Christ.

Still having that handwriting looked at FP. Person is on holiday. Had it been engraved i could do it but handwriting requires better knowledge of the language

If you want to research yourself, copy and paste this text

" η γεννηση του χριστου "

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2013, 05:45:56 pm »
Ipcress. I really appreciate the effort you are putting forth. This is part of my wifes genealogy which I have been trying to dig out. This could offer a clue beyond her Grandfather. That is the extent of her knowledge. I am going to contact a local Greek Orthodox Church to see if there is an elder that may be able to decipher the writing. Thanks again for your help. 

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 04:29:01 am »
I had a look at the inscription on your nice icon, that I think is from late 19th/early 20th c. It shows some western features in the painting style of the faces, that is why I do not think it is older. The stamp is, as the others said already, of a greek ministery, most likely of culture, but that part of the stamp has vanished. It says "Export is approved" / Number (of the Ministerial Decision that is needed for Export) / Minist -ery or -er).
The text written on the back is some kind of letter. The first line must be some salutation, but I can not read that yet. Then it says: "I send you this holy icon [here follow two words I cannot understand] / as a gift for [ the birthday ?] .... The rest I have not deciphered yet, but I will show it also to others that are natural speakers.
Regards,
Mat

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2014, 08:45:47 am »
Thanks Mat. I really appreciate that. I agree with the dating. The nails that hold the wood backing are wire brads. If it were any older they would have been cut nails. I am surprised that Joseph looks about 60 years old. The face painting is of very good execution and detail. You can't see a brush stroke unless you look with a loop. I hope that your speakers can add something. It is a mystery and my wife would really like to know more. She supposedly has a house left to her in Athens but she has no idea if it is still standing or where it is. That will be the next mystery to try to solve. Her Grandfather used to say "you have a house in Greece" but that was all he would say.

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 08:59:52 am »
Sorry, I meant "native speakers"  ;D

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2014, 04:04:10 pm »
I know what you meant Mat.Thanks