Author Topic: information on this chair?????  (Read 2123 times)

Theresa L

• View Profile
information on this chair?????
« on: April 25, 2005, 01:28:04 pm »
I finally found a way to get pictures out.  Please click the link below and it will take you to the pictures.  This is a good site for anyone that wants to post pictures for others to see and it is free.

This chair was given to me 20 years ago, the woman was 80 and I was helping her take care of things while her husband was very ill.  The only thing that she ever said was that it was her moms and that she had it renovated.  I looked under it for something to find out what company or anything and I can't find anything, other than the tag from the upholsters.  There is a gorgeous green material under, that we are guessing was the original fabric.  Overall, it is in very nice shape.  Just needs cleaning.  Anyone have any ideas?  I can go to a shop, but I like to know things about items before I go and ask locals.  

Thanks

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/theresaA/chair.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/theresaA/11272dab.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/theresaA/64e0f730.jpg

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 05:28:27 pm »
I call these chairs barrel-back wing chairs - furniture experts feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - - probably made before 1920 but that's a "guess" - sometimes when something's been re-upholstered, the name tag or plate gets covered.  If there is one, it would be on the bottom edge on the back - you could CAREFULLY lift the fabric - I think it's probably not as important who made it, as it is that it's well made.  It looks like a beautiful upholstery job.  Professional re-upholstery is expensive, but if you love the chair it is worth every penney.  You can choose your fabric and some shops will let you buy your fabric anywhere you want to, not only from their shop.  Just make sure you buy enough.  It takes more than you think, to match design; also to allow using length of material, vs the width.  Very nice looking chair.  KB

Theresa L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 02:51:14 pm »
I was now wondering if anyone could tell me what they would think this chairs value is.  I was told that a person in New Zealand would give me 400.00 for it, and that would be someone that was a cheapo.  And that I should see what I can get here in USA.  As they seemed to think that it was worth way more here.  Any ideas.  I don't even know if I want to get rid of it.  I was thinking of having it covered in breathable plastic.  And just hold on to it for my sons.  

Guest_D&B ANTIQUES

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 03:59:01 pm »
Kerry'what would we do with out you'? it's after the federal style. 1780-1820. this one abit later. $350.00 to $400.00 dollars.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 02:33:33 pm »
And on the subject ot chairs - less than 10 years ago we bought a very good brand name recliner chair - it was covered in a beautiful chenille type fabric - we are an adult household of 2 people so it wasn't sat in every day even - the spring mechanism broke 3 wks ago, the fabric is worn on the arms, seat, and back to the point of looking terrible - we paid $400 in a big box type store - and as soon as I can find one of our kids willing to help haul it out, it's going to the DUMP, and is being replaced as seat of honor by my wonderful antique Heywood Wakefield rocker from before 1920.

Go to a nice furniture store, look at a beautiful wing chair, then ask the salesperson to tip it upside down.  Take a good look underneath at the wood, the type of springs, the finish of the upholstery edges, and the grain and finish of the wood.  

You'll go home and love your chair even more.  ps:  I was on a web site that also called your chair a "Channel Back" wing chair.  I think that's more correct than what I said earlier.  KB  

Theresa L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 03:10:33 pm »
Thanks again for the reply.  I also think it is more of a channel back, although that is only the channels in the back of the chair.  But from looking at some of the older chairs, that fits it more.  It is so much fun researching things.  I am starting to get hooked on it now.  I have found some other items sitting in the attic and around the house that have some age to them and have started to research them.  It would be so easy if only there were a marking on them.  But I guess that it what makes it more enticing to find out what these things have been threw.  Thanks agai.

Guest_D&B ANTIQUES

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 03:51:00 pm »
kerry you' are not incorrect' it appears to be a matter of choice. the curvature of the back' the gaps in the back, resemble barrel staves.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 09:53:34 pm »
Hi - yes, you're hooked.  Welcome to the club.  You'll find yourself searching for something, and check this site, and there's a question, and you've already found a couple of possible answers - we all will welcome your input.  

Libraries were my only source for years, and haunting antiques malls and shops. Still my favorite source.  

some favorite sites:

porcelain, dinnerware:  www.replacements.co m

of course e-bay

and www.kaleden.com  

Again, welcome to our world of antiques -  post back if you have questions -                               Best wishes, KB