Author Topic: Old rocking horse  (Read 4463 times)

MartinaNJ

• View Profile
Re: Old rocking horse
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 01:45:40 pm »
Mart, you were very helpful as well :) I posted her reply since I figured it might interest you. I just wish I knew the approximate value. I have another request in and am waiting to hear from them. Received this reply the other day from Maggi at Rocking horse heaven, she recommended Jane as well.

Hi I did and have also asked around but it seems some old bow rocking horses are not necessarily a name and very difficult to identify. The only person I can think of for you to ask, is a Jane Hooker rocking horses she seems to know quite a lot about identification but most of the people I asked came up with the same answer. He is very charming and has character though.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 02:08:18 pm »
If I had to put a value on it as it is,,I would say around $750. just from what I can see here !!  I did see a few others in similar condition in that price range !! If you can identify the maker could be more !! At least she said it was an American rocking horse and that alone can add to value !!  You find a lot more of the UK horses than American !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 02:46:57 pm »
Kudos to those kind people/businesses that replied back to you!  Very impressive!

Thank you also very much for letting us know!!!!

I would send more pics back to Jane like she requested!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

MartinaNJ

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 07:23:58 pm »
I agree, I was very appreciative KC. It's always nice when people take the time out of their busy lives to help others. I sent Jane the pics she requested right away, no new comments as of yet.

MartinaNJ

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 09:26:50 am »
Just received this e-mail from Jessica from FINEENGLISHROCKINGH ORSES.COM and wanted you to see it, I would love to hear any thoughts that you may have regarding what she said...

Hello Martina,

I have taken a look at your gorgeous little horse.

I am more familiar with the English makes and when i first saw this it reminded me of either American or European in design.

I have seen a similar one in the book by Patricia Mullins 'History of the rocking horse'

and enclose pictures and text taken from this book showing a similar horse, albeit eyes painted slightly differently. Interestingly the bows of these horses were painted with a design on.

I hope this is of some help. Jane Hooker of Old Rocking Horses may be able to advice further,

Kindest regards, Jessica

MartinaNJ

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 09:29:54 am »
A couple other pictures that Jessica sent

Ipcress

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 10:29:08 am »
Late comer to the thread but glad you've had responses from the forum and those who collect and restore rocking horses on the net.

Judging this as a fairly naive early bow rocker, i'd suggest that it's possible it could have been manufactured by a company for a short period of time and thus recognition is highly unlikely. Any such reference may therefor be in an antique reference book or catalogue and not online. There will have been masses of companies throughout Europe during the mid to late 19th century who made these for a short period of time - even some of the larger department store chains - but couldn't compete with the quality of Lines Brothers or Ayres.
It's the same with many, many items but especially toys or seasonal goods.

If i we trying to identify one part, it would be the head. This one is quite distinctive.