Author Topic: 18/19th century Persian Qajar pen-box.. Western motifs??? Royal gift???  (Read 2364 times)

benbenny

• View Profile
Hi there, A few years ago I bought a pen-box. It was marked as a 18th century paper mache pen-box holder and I paid £140 GBP for it. Now I don't now if it's 18 or 19th century and I also found out that the pen-box is Persian made but it's decorated with western motifs.?? 

I think it was a relationships gift or some kind to somebody in the time period when Britain had influence in Persia. But I don't know ho the people are shown on the box, they must be somebody important.. Royalty, important family ??. Can somebody tell me more about this item or the people shown?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:54:26 am by benbenny »

benbenny

• View Profile
side

benbenny

• View Profile
other side

benbenny

• View Profile

benbenny

• View Profile
women is holding a dove in her hands and has a circle over her head like if she is a saint. I could be wrong. It also could be a scarf.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:41:44 am by benbenny »

benbenny

• View Profile

Ipcress

Could be late 18th, early 19th. A lovely thing, beautifully made. Bargain at that price !

benbenny

• View Profile
thank you ipcress you are very helpful. I'm really happy with it. And know I'm more interested when I found out that it's Persian.

Ipcress

The representation of the figures would suggest 18th but i think it's a bit later. Really well crafted. Worth at least 2-3 times what you paid for it. Qajar is like Meiji period. The 19th century was just exploding with international trade.

benbenny

• View Profile
The representation of the figures would suggest 18th but i think it's a bit later. Really well crafted. Worth at least 2-3 times what you paid for it. Qajar is like Meiji period. The 19th century was just exploding with international trade.
both centuries is possible. If I could find out ho the people are, I could date it more precisely. Must be important people I think. Not everybody could afford traveling or had connection wit Persia in that time period, so there must be records I hope. Also found a few similar pen boxes dating Safavid dynasty (1501–1786). Could mine also be from that period?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:51:50 am by benbenny »

icedgold10

• View Profile
Amazing condition!  Great find!

benbenny

• View Profile
nobody?