Author Topic: Americana Hand Blocked Napkins Book - Prohibition Era  (Read 1695 times)

rustyattic

• View Profile
Americana Hand Blocked Napkins Book - Prohibition Era
« on: March 23, 2014, 05:29:46 pm »
Anyone every seen ones of these?  I can't find a sale for one, only crazy high asking prices. How could I tell if it's a repo?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Americana Hand Blocked Napkins Book - Prohibition Era
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:28:33 pm »
First page or two should have publishers info and what edition it is !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:38:38 pm »
Very interesting that an Americana book would have FRANCE in the upper left hand of the book inside cover!  :)

This looks like a small run, if only one, book on lock printing.  This was very popular to do AND was taught to girls in Home Economics in Colleges in the 40's to 50's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 12:57:20 pm »
I notice that the drink recipe calls for non-alcoholic ingredients like non-alcoholic rye making me believe this dates from the prohibition era, when that was all that was legally available. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 07:37:15 pm »
Can`t you buy non alcoholic items today ??

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 12:54:27 pm »
Who would want to Mart? What would non alcoholic whiskey taste like? I can't imagine. The font graphics look like the 1920s-30s to me also.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 09:17:43 am »
Exactly Frogpatch!  Because it has the font and recipes from that time...makes it a perfect book for that era!

Mart, you can buy "alcohol free liquors" and they make all kinds.  It is for people who cannot drink alcohol for medical and religious reasons.  I know that I have used them in recipes for pilots that were soon-to-fly.  They got the flavor without the risk to their job and random drug test.  "Mocktails" are much more popular than most people think in the general public - for those that would like to drink but can't (even the designated driver likes to keep their taste buds happy).

The construction has me more interested and the FRANCE stamp on the inside.  That would be a more tell-tale sign of it's true age.  What rules does FRANCE published books have on publication information?

You can replicate fonts, recipes, napkins, etc. (even age them so that they look very old).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:30:02 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!