Author Topic: Glass Jar Old or New  (Read 1630 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Glass Jar Old or New
« on: April 07, 2014, 01:34:56 pm »
My wife bought this at a yard sale on Sunday. The woman selling it said it belonged to her aunt and was at least 75 years old. The bottom is made in a four part mold but does not look that old to me but I have never seen this glass pattern before. I think it might be a light fixture glass that someone found a top for, The top and base are the exact same color and clarity though which would be hard to match. The bottom reminds me of a fresnel lens. It is around 7 inches high I would guess.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Glass Jar Old or New
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:21:36 pm »
Were it not for the flat bottom I would agree that it looks like a porch light shade !! That pattern is not typical of something of that age,, looks much newer !!  Does the top and bottom pattern match ?? Off hand I would say its a dresser jar from 1940 through 1960 !!  For cotton balls ect !! 

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 04:15:04 pm »
Jelly jar? I have something similar. That's what we called it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:57:16 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 05:49:57 pm »
Looks like a lamp shade I have on my porch.  Interesting.....  It does have a newer look to it.  Do you see any scratches on it?  Older ones usually have some wear signs like that.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:46:34 am »
The fact that it has no scratches or bottom wear makes me think it is modern. Although I have found signed pieces of old glass with no wear at all because they just sat for years. It has a fitter rim just like a fixture shade. The flat bottom with the rings is exactly like a Fresnel lens used to concentrate light. Look at the concentric rings on a recessed light cover. Or the bottom of some jelly jar fixtures, as those cheap builders outdoor wall fixtures are referred to. They have flat bottoms as do drum fixtures. I still think its a re-purposed light fixture glass. My wife does not agree. We were both in the lighting business for over 25 years but I was more in the technical/design end and she was an expediter/account manager.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:04:21 am »
Does the pattern on the top match the bottom ??

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 03:03:37 pm »
No Mart it doesn't.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 05:15:57 pm »
Mmmm,,, that doesn`t bode well for it !!  Back to the porch lights !!