Author Topic: parasol handles  (Read 1765 times)

bev

• View Profile
parasol handles
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:40:02 pm »
Two parasol handles have been passed down to me. They belonged to a great aunt and come from the late 1800's. One is carved with leaves and flower buds (or seed pods?) and is marked on the handle end with a "45" which is very faded and did not photograph. The other is carved with chrysanthemums. Can anyone tell by the pics I am posting whether they are bone or ivory, any other info about them, and an approximate value. Any response will be appreciated.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: parasol handles
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:59:29 pm »
When something that old is carved that intricately, it will usually be some type of ivory. Here is a section we created with photos of ivory and bone that will help you compare to your parasol handles. Look for a double, criss-crossing grain: http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=6485.msg24511#msg24511
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bev

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 02:08:35 pm »
Thanks for the response. It looks like both are ivory. Any suggestions on the best way to sell these? Would it be better to go through someone who specializes in them, or an auction site?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:33:13 pm »
I bet you are drooling over these Talesof!  (By the way, so nice to see you back!  Missed you and praying for you!)

Talesof is our parasol person on the forum! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 05:02:43 am »
Could be Japanese. Very nice though.

You want a reputable auction house with live internet sales. These would be fetching a few hundred pounds in the UK.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:12:53 pm »
Some places don't sell ivory, even antique, so you'll probably want to talk to a few different auction houses and see what their policies are and what their commission fees are.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:36:51 pm »
Bev are you located in the US on the east coast?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bev

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 01:33:57 pm »
Again, thanks for the responses and info. I am located in NW Arkansas, and am interested in selling. I would like to see them go to someone who will appreciate them rather than having them stored away for years (which is what I'll be doing with them!)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 11:28:55 pm »
Beautiful state.  Heading your way next month somewhere W of Conway on the Arkansas River!  Gorgeous state!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 09:05:12 am »
Very nice pieces.

Anyone that is buying and/or selling ivory in the near future needs to read "Director's Order 210".
http://arttrak.blogspot.com/2014/03/endangered-species-act-directors-order.html

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 12:04:24 pm »
We have DEFRA and the 1947 rule. Specifically March 3rd.

I'm all for conservation but i don't know many elephants with birth certificates or hallmarks so the date seems a bit strange to me.