Author Topic: Mortuary lamps  (Read 3200 times)

kzubialde

• View Profile
Mortuary lamps
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:54:03 pm »
Hello everyone.
We recently came across these 2 items while moving things around our basements. We're told they were used in funeral homes for viewings. Not really sure about anything past that.
We're trying to sell them to the local market but haven't found anything even close to this to be able to put a price tag on it.
Someone recently offered $175 for the pair... just trying to figure out if that's reasonable.
Thank you in advance for your help!

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
Re: Mortuary lamps
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:59:36 am »
are they cast iron?

They are beautiful-

kzubialde

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:08:59 am »
Yes they are cast iron. Thank you

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 12:40:51 pm »
There is a good chance that they were used for that purpose but lets try to come up with a different one because the word "mortuary" scares buyers. I have a torchiere that my wifes family did not want because they thought I came from a funeral parlor. It didn't and I am very pleased to have it lighting my living room. Your lamps may have been used in a church. Not all church items have crosses on them. It depends on many different factors. The construction, style and wiring makes me think they were made in the 1920s or 30s. See if there are any markings on them like B and H. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 01:06:41 pm »
Are you in the U.S. ?? Try googling "funerary antiques" !!  Its a pretty hot collectable category with some people !!

kzubialde

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 01:08:18 pm »
Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it! I'll do more research on them.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 01:08:41 pm »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 01:09:31 pm »
Just saw your post Mart!  We did it at the same time!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »
Yep !!  We think alike !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:47:28 pm »
Funerary is creepy to me. I cleaned out an attic of the first female undertaker in the state. There was a body board up there along with a diploma form embalming college. Creepy. We gave it all to the family. I only bought the furniture.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 11:03:51 pm »
I guess it is how you are exposed to it!  My Godfather owned the only funeral home in my hometown (but boy did they have fun scaring me!)

Also, I taught cooking classes for a few years in a wonderful little cottage, at the back of a beautiful Victorian home (turned day spa).  The home had been the home of the town doctor (who in those times was also the mortician).  Come to find out, the cottage had been where the deceased were kept and funerals were! The friends that I worked for had it turned into a great display/store and professional kitchen.  Was fun to work there back then!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:08:53 pm by KC »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:48 am »
Lovely old Victorian !! I always look at it this way,, it isn`t the deceased you have to worry about,,  its the living !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 04:55:15 pm »
Definitely!