Author Topic: Antique door info  (Read 2097 times)

e90suprat

• View Profile
Antique door info
« on: April 28, 2014, 04:20:45 pm »
Hello everyone,
I recently bought this door at an estate sale shop, it measures 83" tall and 53" wide. It has been trimmed down over the years as people tried to re-purpose it, so it was taller and wider when it was made. It was built using mortise and tenon joinery, it had a mortise lock, and it has a twist style door bell. Anyone have an educated guess as to the age of this door?

e90suprat

• View Profile
Re: Antique door info
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 04:21:38 pm »
Here's another pic

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 05:13:39 pm »
Can you take a close up of the hardware and possibly flip the pics upright !! Hard to tell anything about it on its side !! Offhand I would say probably late teens or 1920`s !! Looks kind of like Eastlake meets Arts & Crafts style !! Doors didn`t always follow a style as furniture did so dating is hit and miss at best !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:35:44 pm »
On the westcoast of Canada, that door is firmly 1890's.  One house in our neighbourhood has almost the exact original style doors & it was built in 1891.  Because of early photos of the interior, we know the doors are original to the house.  Too bad someone has mucked about with it, but it's still a very nice piece.  GG

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:55:56 am »
It looks like it has a push plate which makes me think it was used in a business where passers through would have their hands full. That feature may have been added later. Is there a mortise next to it?

e90suprat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 04:44:14 pm »
Sadly, there is no hardware left to take a picture of, the mortise lock is gone, and both edges were trimmed down, so no hinges. There is a push plate on it, it had a double swing hinge added to it, most likely used in a restaurant at one time. Any idea what type of wood it's made of, I'm thinking its oak, but not sure, this thing weighs at least 110lbs. What would something like this be worth, I paid 150$ for it, I just thought it was so nice I had to have it. Thanks for the info!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 05:50:08 pm »
The flat panels do look like oak (can`t enlarge the pic because of its size) !! The surrounding parts could be maple or  straight grain oak depending on what they had at the time !! They finish out the same color and was not unusual to mix woods !! Painted doors could be anything !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 12:32:26 am »
Close ups look like Douglas Fir.  No idea of value as it's not a door anymore.  GG

e90suprat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 04:05:39 pm »
Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate it!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 07:44:14 pm »
No problem at all !!  We hope you come back and enjoy the forum !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 07:39:21 am »
I would turn it into a mirror and hang it. It would make an interesting conversation piece and not expensive to do. You could even add coat hooks and use it in a foyer