Author Topic: WALKING CANES  (Read 1305 times)

joemg311

• View Profile
WALKING CANES
« on: May 13, 2014, 04:49:31 pm »
Hi,

I have no experience in canes and was wondering if anyone had any idea what the value might be on either of these. The Indian head has "Dartmouth 1907" carved into it as well as lots of names. Does this make it more or less valuable? The black cane has two snakes winding around it, and idea what the handle is made out of? It is very hard and feels like stone such as marble... I wouldn't know Ivory if it bit my on the bottom. Any info on these is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Re: WALKING CANES
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:54:29 pm »
Where did you get these canes ?? They used to use a lot of ivory for canes !!  Can`t tell about yours with out a close pic and higher resolution !!  The Dartmouth sounds interesting,, where are the names ?? Just written on it ??  Look for names with historical connection or such !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 09:35:17 pm »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

joemg311

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 07:42:50 am »
Thanks for the input guys! These are left overs from a friend of a friends estate. It was run by the family and everything was very very overpriced by some appraiser so there was lots of great stuff left after the sale. The canes were put to the side by one of the family members from the start. 

So far looking around on the internet I have learned that it is a Dartmouth tradition to have a cane to walk with at graduation for different clubs and societies and such. They used to have a Native American mascot until the 1970s. The cane would then be passed around to friends/peers to be carved/signed much like a yearbook. In addition to the Indian head cane, I have walking stick with the same owners name, this however appears to be from their fraternity, signed with initials of fraternity brothers. According to my research he most likely took a beating with it then was given it as part of his initiation  :o.

Here is a pic of the carvings, close up of the black canes handle.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:10:25 am »
The pics are still not good enough to see the grain to tell if its ivory !! Ivory will have a fine cross hatched grain where as bone will be a straight grain !! You just need to look closely to see it !! The collectors group that Greenacres gave would be a good place to check on value !! But still look at the names and see if there are any you recognize !! Might even google search them to see if any are important people !! Could mean dollars difference if there are !! Like an autograph !!