Author Topic: Vintage Woven Metal Mattress Wooden Frame  (Read 2162 times)

lasse143

• View Profile
Vintage Woven Metal Mattress Wooden Frame
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:00:05 am »
This metal woven mattress has been in our barn for years. 

One gentleman told me that it dates back to the mid 18th century due to the woven metal used and probably came from the Connecticut/Massachusetts area. 

Would love to find out more about this mattress:  date, manufacturer and value. 

thanks for looking!

lasse143

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Woven Metal Mattress Wooden Frame
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:01:56 am »
sorry for the double post .. my computer is acting up this morning

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:44:06 am »
Who told you that ??  We had similar when I was a kid on roll-a-way beds !!  They are just spring supports and a mattress went on top of that !!  Usually used for temporary beds !! A few similar were used in early 1900`s bunkhouses where workers slept !! 1700`s would typically be rope beds or supports that held the mattress !!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:46:10 am by mart »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 10:49:06 am »
This one actually looks to me like it came from an old daybed !!

lasse143

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 10:56:15 am »
the person that gave me that bit of information was not an expert and suggested I keep on digging. and, that is why I am asking on here to see what others think.  I have just haven't found anything on the internet that has the springs along with the woven metal on top of it.  I know that old mattress springs are a "hot" item right now and this one is different than any other that I have seen on line.

Our house in NH dates back to the 1870's and has been in the family since the beginning .. so I am assuming it was purchased by a family member at some point.

I do have a rope bed in the barn as well, maybe he mixed them up when he was answering my questions about what I have.

Thanks for your response.  I really appreciate you looking!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 08:13:58 pm »
In that case I would think he meant the rope bed and simply misunderstood !!  Some of the rope beds can get pretty pricey !!  I haven`t noticed old bed springs/supports being hot !!  Of course I am in Texas so whats hot in your area may not be here !!  What are the springs being used for ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 11:12:55 pm »
Bed springs are very popular on Pinterest.  But, they are hot because people are dismantling using the springs for picture holders, votive holders, vase holders, inserting paper into and making french fry holder, etc.  They use whole mattress springs for other things such as memo boards and picture displays.

Rope beds are still a hard find item and get harder to find over time.  They sell well.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

lasse143

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 04:23:40 am »
thanks for posting the picture KC.

We have a really nice garden center store and the things they do with the mattresses are amazing.  Used for climbing vines, doors etc.

If you look back at the first photo I posted you will see the red rope bed to the left of the mattress.

I guess I should assume that the value of the mattress is whatever anyone is willing to pay for it :o)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 07:02:50 am »
Trivia - Rope beds are where the term "sleep tight" originated. Sagging ropes would cause back trouble so tightening them frequently was necessary as they stretched.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 09:17:04 am »
Trivia - Rope beds are where the term "sleep tight" originated. Sagging ropes would cause back trouble so tightening them frequently was necessary as they stretched.

Really ?? I thought it was because they,(like me) often got rolled up in those old heavy quilts !!  ;)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 05:25:59 am »
Trivia – an old set of "box" bed springs make a great landscaping tool for smoothing the soil before planting the grass seed for a new lawn.

Just drag the springs round n’ round all over the ground and they will not only smooth out the surface but will also “flip-out” all those little rocks, etc. onto the top of the ground so they can easily be gathered up.