Author Topic: White Mountain Apple Peeler  (Read 2837 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
White Mountain Apple Peeler
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:58:08 pm »
I have trouble passing up kitchen gadgets. This was a buy at two bucks. I don't think it has ever been used. Has anyone ever used one of these. Will it save me time peeling and paring apples to motivate my wife into turning them into something good. Or is it like the old vegomatic. I can have an onion perfecty diced with a knife before you could get a vegomatic unpacked. There are a lot of these out there so I figured someone may have used one once. Thanks

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: White Mountain Apple Peeler
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 10:42:48 pm »
If you're planning a high speed production line, you will be disappointed. But for the occasional batch of apple butter, juice or sauce etc. they are a timesaver and make peeling apples actually fun. They seem to work best with medium size apples.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 11:47:19 pm »
I have two.  One for table mount and one that suction mounts to the counter. 

They work well for well rounded medium size apples.  Lop-sided apples and large apples won't rotate in the peeler/cutter well and may get stuck.

Great for preserve season or baking several pies.  Also great for scalloped potatoes for a crowd!

Can also use for firm potatoes and pears.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 05:52:53 am »
I've never used one of those "new" ones ...... but some of the vintage ones worked great iffen you got them re-conditioned to working correctly ....... and the "blade" sharp as a razor.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 09:39:09 am »
Oh, and you if this is like the ones I have, you can also spiral cut the apple without peeling by moving down the peeling piece.

Now, the little advertisement on the top says a 5 second operation...don't believe that for a second!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 01:36:34 pm »
I have an 1898 Sinclair Scott cast iron peeler and I love it. It makes apple pies so easy, especially when I have to make one for an event the next day. Here is a video of my peeler in action:

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x124/talesofthesevenseas/?action=view&current=ApplePeelerVideo-1.mp4

Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 03:08:09 pm »
Nice peeler , tales !

I've seen quite a few of the 'more modern' types that do take a bit of getting used to .... my experience with them (as cogar said , sharp cutters count alot) is varied .
They can be a great time-saver , if they're/it is not prone to malfunction (such as coring the apple while trying to peel it & etc.) .

The cheapo replicas are not worth trying (China manufactured) , IMO .

Hope yours works well , frogpatch !!!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 01:58:05 am »
Nice one, Tales, I've never seen that model before.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 09:58:16 am »
Totally agree with Cogar!  I haven't ever seen one like that either!  SWEET!!!!!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 11:06:52 am »
I have tried to buy older ones but I was always out bid. They bring a lot of money at auction. I can't believe how many different ones were made. Yours is great Tales. I am not sure if I have seen that one before. Do they make peach peeler?  Peeling peaches is messy and awkward when they are ripe. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 12:19:50 pm »
I don't know if they make a peach peeler. Yes the competition can be tough for these.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 01:32:12 pm »
I found a good market for old toasters too but none like the peelers.