Author Topic: Hannah & Holland Furnishers of Dorchester (uk)  (Read 2512 times)

Laurenold

• View Profile
Hannah & Holland Furnishers of Dorchester (uk)
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:23:42 pm »
Hi I have purchased a wardrobe which was made by the above mentioned cabinet makers. I have done a lot of research and Christies sold two pieces for £4,000 and someone also provided an online valuation for 3,500-4,000 for a drop leaf table by the same makers. can anyone provide a valuation for a wardrobe by these makers (1800's) thanks

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah & Holland Furnishers of Dorchester (uk)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:06:31 pm »
Can you please post several pictures of your wardrobe? 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Laurenold

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 03:23:15 pm »
yes certainly will do that now

Laurenold

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 03:31:35 pm »
wow have the pics but unfamiliar with how to attach them to these messages, can you help?

Hilltop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 03:43:40 pm »
Upload them to Photobucket. Then copy the Img on the right side of the page. Paste to forum. I hope this helps.

Laurenold

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 03:45:13 pm »
wow ok, bit of a palava. Will try that. thanks

Laurenold

• View Profile

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 06:17:54 pm »
If you read the Christies description it said "The labels were supplied by Hannah and Holland" not that they made it !! Chances are they did not !! House furnishers back then were the same as what we today know as Decorators and Designers !! Most of their furniture was contracted and made for them by many craftsmen of that day !! They just put their label on because it was sold through their shop or studio !! I have not found one yet that actually made their own furniture !!  No matter whose name is on it the selling price depends on the piece itself !! Those glass display cases always sell pretty well even if no name is on it !! Didn`t see the others you mentioned that sold at Christies !!  Who gave you that valuation ??

Laurenold

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 12:59:05 pm »
Hi mart

There was like a drop leaf table I will paste the link below
http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/63wk4-hello-glenda-piece-furniture.html

does the wardrobe look like a junk one to you? it just struck me that it was really beautiful and when i researched it must be late 1800's so fairly old too

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 07:55:30 pm »
No,,Of course it isn`t junk !! But wardrobes do not sell as well as the classic gate leg table that the expert at the site gave as an example !!  No one uses a wardrobe anymore !!  Couldn`t see the table that was in question !! And again,, she said that it was sold by Hannah and Holland and she could not find if they produced it or were just the sellers of the table !!  They were evidently a high end design house and that is in your favor !! I would say you are right on the date,,late 1800`s or early 1900`s !! Looks like nice solid oak !!  Are you wanting to sell it ??