Author Topic: Looking for info on Submersible lamps  (Read 1424 times)

rustyattic

• View Profile
Looking for info on Submersible lamps
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:20:24 pm »
I can't find much info about these.  They look old, but may just be dirty.  The only marking is around the rim, it says:
caution do not operate unless submerged
Garden Supply & Specialties Corp
Houston Texas
(and the volts)

They look like pool lights, but they're on a tripod and can move like a spotlight.  They're about a foot long and heavy!

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Submersible lamps
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 04:23:10 am »
They must be high wattage due to this ... "caution do not operate unless submerged".

The water will quickly dissipate the "heat" thus preventing the bulb from "burning out".

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 08:52:16 am »
There are many water parks that would use similar lamps as well as aquariums, zoos ect !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 10:46:25 am »
I am betting with the name like this it is used for ponds and water features (fountains).
Can't tell from the picture but is this one just for placing in the water or are their mounting holes in the stand?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:09:19 pm »
I am betting with the name like this it is used for ponds and water features (fountains).
Can't tell from the picture but is this one just for placing in the water or are their mounting holes in the stand?

No mounting holes.  Do you think they're old?

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 07:22:11 am »
Those are fountain lights used to uplight the water spray. They are still being made by companies like Bronzelite and Hydrel They are made in both line voltage and low voltage depending upon the application. There were colored filters available for them. Today they are being replaced by LED versions that have a lamp life that is ten times greater than incandescent lamps and can be computer controlled to change color at any speed. It is hard to tell the age as they have not changed much in decades until recently. They were very expensive. Some were made from solid brass and would have a high scrap value today. Have you opened them up? I a not familiar with the brand name. Sometimes there is a UL label with an E number that can be looked up online for the date of listing.