Author Topic: Need help with info  (Read 2777 times)

Marciaunrau

• View Profile
Need help with info
« on: July 06, 2014, 08:34:46 am »
Hi All. I purchased this old can and am trying to figure out what it was used for and how old It may be. It's very heavy. The lid screws off. Anyone?

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Need help with info
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 09:00:55 am »
I'm sure no expert on these , but it does bear some sim to antique cream cans .

Nice & rustic item , Marciaunrau .

I am wondering about the size of your item & any markings on its' lid & other surfaces .....

As an afterthought , sure looks like it might have been handy to store & pour  kerosene too .
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:03:06 am by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 09:37:11 am »
Yep !!  Could be either one !! Looks more like cream but haven`t seen a cream can with screw lid !!

Marciaunrau

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 09:40:58 am »
It is 29 inches to top and 39 inches around. I took it to my parents who are 76 and they have never seen one so they think it's before their time as kids. They also thought cream or milk but also thought it strange that it doesn't really resemble what's typically for that use. It had some type of metal label in the front below the spout at one time I can see. They contemplated gas or oil or kerosine as well but the pour spout really doesn't seem to suit that kind of pouring.

Marciaunrau

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 09:53:38 am »
If you can think of someone on this forum that may know can you direct them here? It's going to bug me to no end not knowing what it is for sure and how old it may be. I'm no antique person...I picked it up for our cabin or barn.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 10:09:59 am »
I would call it a "Bulk Transfer Can" for oil, kerosene, etc. The metal tag would have had the gallons, and company name. Before the day of metered pumps, the "bulk man" would have used a can similar to that to measure and carry the fuel to your storage tank from his truck.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7850618

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:13:02 am »
What is it made of ?? Copper or other metal !! If the pour spout is a wide one and its a copper container,, then its likely cream !! It may not have been made here in the U.S,,it could be made in France where they used copper much more for food items than here !! If it is copper would not have been kerosene !!

Marciaunrau

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 10:14:59 am »
Seems to me it's a thick heavy galvanized metal and the rim edges may be copper. Anyone have a clue as to how old it may be?

Marciaunrau

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 10:18:50 am »
What I think may be copper on each rim may be rust. Like I said...I know nothing!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 12:54:51 pm »
Cream and milk cans usually had a "compression" lid and no pour spout or lip on the rim ..... simply because they were "emptied" by turning them upside down and "dumping" the contents into a large vat or tank at the processing plant. 

The lids for cream and milk cans also had a large rim or brim on then that covered the top of the can to prevent dirt or crud from collecting there during shipment.

When they had dozens to hundreds of cans arriving at the plant every day .... they didn't have time to screw around  ;D "un-screwing" lids off .... and "screwing" them back on. (pun intended)

In America that is.

Marciaunrau

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 02:51:57 pm »
Ok. So we think it's for gas or oil or kerosine? Think it's from France? Anyone guess on how old it is?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 06:39:56 pm »
No I said if it were copper it might be from France !! But if its rusty, it probably is just galvanized metal !! Is anything written or stamped on bottom ??

Marciaunrau

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 07:21:43 pm »
No there is nothing I can see on bottom as it's a bit rusty etc. My husband thinks the top rim is copper not rust. Do you think it would be more than 75 years old?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 07:59:08 pm »
My opinion would be 1920`s or so !!  Just wondering,, but cars back then had a container for water,,just not sure what they looked like !! This may be too big for that but you never know !! I am trying to think about the pour spout use !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 09:08:12 am »
Google "Ellisco oil can with spout"!  :)  You will see lots of examples!

Would be interested if this hold 5 gallons...typical size for one.

Nice find!  Love the look of it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!