Author Topic: marble tablet / plaque  (Read 3949 times)

blanx

• View Profile
marble tablet / plaque
« on: June 18, 2014, 05:06:54 am »

Can anyone give me any information on this item please
Ive identified the medallion inlaid In the back as being from the paris exposition universelle 1889 but have no clue on the actual plaque or its origin. There is a  signature (attached) that I cant quite decipher
Photos ain't that good I know but can take better ones.
Any info appreciated
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:14:15 am by blanx »

Mat

• View Profile
Re: marble tablet / plaque
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:01:27 am »
Hi, the signature reads Gg Bommer and is of the German Artist Georg Bommer from Berlin, who was active in late 19th, early 20th c. It seems there is not much information on him. (Here a link to a medal showing his portrait: http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=710002 ) The relief seems to be an adaption of a painting by Hans Makart, an Austrian painter of the 19th c, as is indicated after the signature ( n Makart). Maybe it was made for the Exposition Universelle in 1889??? Is this relief chiseled out of a massive block of marble or is it cast in some way? I ask so because all I have seen from Bommer were cast metal reliefs. He was not an marble sculptor but an engraver.
Mat

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:27:53 am »
I believe the scene is the Triumph Of Diana and it's Bommer's representation of a Hans Makart painting

This even looks like your frame !

http://www.paragis.ru/index.php?action=a_lot_photos&id=333

Hear is a KPM porcelain plaque of the same subject. You should have yours checked first hand at a good auction house

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/27121554_kpm-rectangular-plaque-of-diana-and-actaeon
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:35:34 am by Ipcress »

blanx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 01:33:53 pm »
Hi.
Thanks for both replies.
Mat how could it be cast in some way if its marble? Im no expert on such things and only assume its marble due to the smooth front and (sparkly rough) back.
The 1 in the russian auction is almost identical to the one I have.
Does it state the selling price as I see its dated 2005 and only see "preliminary" but shows no currency.
Thanks again

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 03:07:51 am »
It is possible to cast marble, some reproductions of marble sculpture is made this way, but I am not sure if this was possible in the period your relief was made. The detail of the back looks ok for real marble, can you show a detail of the upside? Is the crystalline structue visible there also? (it should be like that if it is real marble)
Mat

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 07:11:41 am »

blanx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 11:14:26 am »
Thanks again for the replies and info.
I believe it is a cast as shown above but am not 100%  sure.
At a stroke of luck the national tv show "antiques roadshow" is being held at a local venue tomorrow so im going to go and show it to 1 of the many experts that are there and get an opion as hands on is no doubt a thousand times easier to be more accurate with an identification.
I will post tomorrow with the outcome just out of courtesy to those members that read and replied.
Thanks again