Author Topic: Who knows German Hallmarks...  (Read 1961 times)

Antiquesarekool

• View Profile
Who knows German Hallmarks...
« on: July 14, 2014, 01:05:38 pm »
Hello again everyone.  I forgot my user name but I was on here about a year ago...

Recently picked up this German asparagus scissor tong for .10 and have searched the net for about an hour trying to figure out who made it and possibly what year it was made.  Any help would be great.  Thanks.  Steve

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Who knows German Hallmarks...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 01:48:24 pm »
Hi Steve and welcome back.

The tongs in questions aren't necessarily a asparagus tong.  They are usually regarded as scissor style serving tongs or sandwich tongs and quite possibly pastry tongs. 

Typical asparagus tongs of this design are unpierced.

Looking for maker....

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:40:11 pm »
Hi, the word over "GERMANY" should be SOLINGEN. That is a place in Germany where a lot of cutlery was and is made. The other mark could be a maker's mark or a monogram of the former owner.
Mat

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 12:56:38 am »
Mat, have to lean towards the monogram idea on this one.  Good advice!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Antiquesarekool

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:29:00 am »
So the "Crown" is the makers mark and what looks like scribble is a monogram?  I don't see "800"  is it even silver you think?  Can't find a maker who just used a crown either :S

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 02:33:08 pm »
Most likely stainless steel !! I don`t think I have ever seen even silver plate over Solingen steel !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 12:41:19 am »
My first impression was that it was a "incomplete strike mark" for Eisenberg-Lozano of New York who was an importer and put their mark on items that they brought in the US and sold.

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 01:56:01 am »
KC, I looked up that Eisenberg-Lozano mark and I think your first impression is absolutely right! It must be that mark. That would give also a date, somewhere between 1953 and 1973....
Mat

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 03:13:28 pm »
I am thinking that is it as well Mat! 

Although they did make some silver plated items in Solingen, Germany...most items that come from that area are not.  AND most likely it would be marked if silver.  You can always get a silver testing kit to find out.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 07:38:01 pm »
During the 50`s stainless steel was more popular than silver !!  Women were looking for ease and simplicity in the kitchen and in dining !!  No more cleaning silver !!  It was also the era of TV dinners !!