Author Topic: kitchen something  (Read 1723 times)

suesyl

• View Profile
kitchen something
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:18:27 pm »
I found this something digging around in the building that used to be a chicken house. I haven't cleaned it up yet, but is metal, showing some rust spots but it is very solid. it isn't rusting through even in the bottom. The rubber on the wheels are in good condition and it rolls easily. I haven't been able to find anything like it on the internet. I'm guessing it from the 1930's from the front graphics. There are no manufacturing markings. So who can tell me what it is and that it is worth thousands of dollars? ;D Thanks

mart

• View Profile
Re: kitchen something
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:17:24 pm »
Its either a market basket or a trash can !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:41:01 am »
Ditto on the vintage shopping bin. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:19:01 am »
I think the 30`s was when the first "super markets" and/or grocery stores evolved !! Before that general stores were the norm !! You told the owner what you wanted and they got it for you !! Then came the self service stores where you walked the aisles and got it yourself !!  This is how you got it home,,in a cart with wheels !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:19:59 am »
Yepper Mart.  We are spoiled rotten with everything at our fingertips!  And yet, so many STILL COMPLAIN!

Grocery history
http://www.groceteria.com/about/a-quick-history-of-the-supermarket/

In the original stores you didn't have paper bags or bags provided...so you brought your own.

The (All American) History of Shopping (Carts) - compiled by birgit lohmann
http://www.designboom.com/history/cart.html

Here is another similar style from 1950's.

You don't see many around because they limited the amount of groceries purchased and when the stores started to provide them (to increase sales) they became absolete.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:26:44 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 01:47:30 pm »
One of those would make a neat trash bin in my kitchen !!  Like hers better though !!  I am going red & white with fruit !!

suesyl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 04:42:19 pm »
I would be interested in the best way to clean it. Just soapy water or something with a rust inhibitor? Thanks again for your help.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 05:20:26 pm »
Any good cleaner will work with a good soaping & hosing down !! But choose one with bleach or add some bleach to (couple of TBSP) disinfect and help brighten the white !! If there are stains that persist use a Teflon scrubby gently !!  WD40 the axle joint and a little oil,, cooking oil will work,, on the rubber tires then wipe all excess off !! Then let all dry !!

suesyl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 04:27:02 pm »
Thanks for the tips Mart, I'll use your expertize!