Author Topic: Anyone familiar with this artist?  (Read 2702 times)

genesisvh

• View Profile
Anyone familiar with this artist?
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:03:26 pm »
I have a question for you guys. Would anyone know the artist and material of this vase? I have attached images please review. Thanks in advance.

genesisvh

• View Profile
Re: Anyone familiar with this artist?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 06:17:19 pm »
Would anyone have a clue, please?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:03 pm »
Can you make the pics a little larger please ?? I looked at them earlier and couldn`t make heads or tails of the words since they are so small !! Does it feel like a metal ?? Describe it as best you can !! Take a spoon handle and tap it to see if it sounds dull like a pottery or metal !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:50:19 am »
I know Mart!  In one picture it looks like white metal and in another it looks like glazed clay.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 10:28:34 am »
Might help if we could just see that seal !!

genesisvh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 04:45:45 pm »
The best I can describe is that it is metallic. Standing at 23 inches and the seal says, "fabrication francaise, Made in France" Right above "Made in France" I cannot read to well what it says, "Pasis" I believe. Also there is a name inscribed on the vase which I think reads, "Roni". I'm adding better pictures I hope this helps. Anything would help and thank you again.

genesisvh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 06:59:29 pm »
Do the pictures help?

genesisvh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:18:17 pm »
So this is what I learned about the foundry mark:

The foundry mark: Fabrication Francaise Paris, made in Paris France. This was a foundry in Paris which poured French bronzes and iron work in the late 19th Century, early 20th Century. The circular foundry mark bares this name at the top, an image of a crucible set on flames in the centre, with the “Made in France” ringing the bottom f the circle, The “Made in France” in English on the foundry mark is due to the U.S trade law of 1891 that required all imports to be marked to indicate the country of origin.

The earliest known mention of the company name “Fabrication Francaise, Paris” is 1892.  The exact date when this company ceased to exist is not known, as many European governments absorbed the private metal work manufacturers for war production in the years leading up to World War 1.

Fabrication Francaise, Paris was a production company that manufactured sculptures after the artist produced bronze sculptures.  These reproductions were rarely cast in bronze, but cast in spelter metal (white metal/pot metal), sometimes with fabricated pieces in bronze and brass, and were painted to replicate the acid patinas of a bronze casting.  The castings in spelter were most likely produced for the home décor and export markets between 1892 and 1915.

I still can't make the artist not sure if it reads, "Roni" Would anyone have a clue of this might be or it's value?

Thanks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 07:02:26 pm »
I did look this up,, can`t believe I failed to post it !! Let me find it again,,Roni is correct !!

genesisvh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:04:43 pm »
 :o WOW Thanks!! Yes please send me a link to the artist or any info. Thank you so much for the help.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 09:10:44 am »
OK ,, It was not the one I found earlier !! The one I found was German born but lived in the U.S. !!  Still looking though !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 11:36:20 am »
OK I have searched everywhere I know,, and can not find a sculptor in France or anywhere during the 19th or 20th century time period here with that name !! My conclusion is that possibly, since this company just did copies suitable for home décor that they may have also used local artists that would not be known or show up on anything we can search today !! This was a common practice back then !!
As to value,,!!  An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay !!  I saw several items from this foundry that the sellers were asking $100. to $300. but no interest in any of them !!  My personal opinion is that if you had a pair of the vases,,$20. to $40.,, as a single,,maybe $20. to $25. !!