Author Topic: Frank M. Whiting Silver  (Read 983 times)

danitravis

• View Profile
Frank M. Whiting Silver
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:55:20 pm »
Hello, my grandmother passed away and I inherited her Frank M. Whiting silverware set. It is the Princess Ingrid pattern from 1945. There are 72 pieces (12 knives are stainless steel so I think they may be replacements with no value?)  I am hoping someone can tell me what this set is worth. I have attached a picture. They all need a good polishing but I think are in good shape and will clean up nice. Thanks in advance for anyone's help. Danielle

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Frank M. Whiting Silver
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 07:10:58 pm »
In my part of the country the auction sales I've attended recently the sterling flatware sets bring about $20 per piece on an average. I would imagine the retail price in a shop would be close to twice that on a complete set.
You can weigh the individual pieces on a postage scale and get pretty close to the scrap value, based on the current silver market price (today: 19.54 per Troy ounce).
(BTW: The stainless steel blades on the knives would be correct.)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Frank M. Whiting Silver
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 11:39:26 am »
Frank Whiting is a highly prized maker of Sterling Silver Flatware.  Could you please post a clearer picture of the back side with hallmark of a service piece.

These are heirloom pieces that are passed through generations!  I would think once, twice and even twenty times before letting go of these.  Once gone...you won't afford them back (most likely).

Just take a look at these:
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/FWSPRI.htm
and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131094557877?lpid=82

Now, if you need to sell...Replacements LTD does buy items and are reputable.  I am sure you could sell on EBay and other silver places.  BUT I RECOMMEND YOU THINK ABOUT IT...this was a very cherished/prized (and costlier set) by a family and showed status. 

Why silver?  Silver has been a prized metal AND silver has anti-bacterial properties.  It was always believed that these antibacterial properties would also help in consumption of food!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!