Author Topic: Stiffel Lamps  (Read 3007 times)

AmyCovington

• View Profile
Stiffel Lamps
« on: August 25, 2014, 02:29:47 pm »
Hi everyone! I'm new here and so happy to have found this forum! I came across 2 beautiful Stiffel lamps but I can't find them anywhere online (ebay, etsy, general Google searches, etc.). Anyone have any idea what era they're from and value? Thanks so much! p.s. I apologize that the photos are sideways. They're not that way on my computer and I can't figure out how to orient them the right way. Sorry!

Best,
Amy
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:31:30 pm by AmyCovington »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Stiffel Lamps
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 06:21:29 pm »
Look on the light socket and see if there is a patent date & name there !! The chain pull might date it !!  Not sure when Stiffel stopped using those !! Frogpatch can give you some info on Stiffel and their lamps !!  These are table lamps aren`t they ?? Is the Stiffel sticker still on the bottom ??

AmyCovington

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 07:38:48 pm »
Thank you! The lamps are table lamps and both have the Stiffel labels. They are in excellent condition. I could not locate any patent number. Thank you for your response!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:30:20 pm »
Are you looking on the light socket ??  Where you screw the bulb in ??  Most all have the name & patent date !!  The ceramic portion of your lamps looks like a 60`s design !! Stiffel did make some lamps like their older ones  !!

AmyCovington

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:48:53 am »
Hi again! I did look on the socket. I see there are some numbers but I can't quite make them out. The Stiffel label is on the socket of both lamps. I'm really stumped with this one! I might have to get it appraised. Thanks for trying to help me!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 11:20:07 am »
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=stiffel+lamp+socket

I would not advise an appraisal,, you would lose money !! At best these lamps might bring $40. to $50. each !!  An appraisal would cost $75. or more if by a professional !!  You can see there are several on ebay with the same armature, just different bases !! And the start prices are all over the board,, but absolutely no interest in any of them !!  There is not a huge collector base for lamps !! Those that buy them are buying them to use !!  I will PM Frogpatch and get him to take a look !! He worked in the lighting industry and sold Stiffel lamps !!

AmyCovington

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 01:22:38 pm »
Thank you. I'm surprised to see that they could be worth as little as $40 each. You can't buy a new Stiffel for $200 it seems and these are in excellent condition and unique. I can't find this pattern or shape anywhere. The range is so all over the map -- from $50 to $1,200 a lamp, so I'm feeling clueless as to their value. If your friend has any additional insight, I would be so grateful! Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 01:40:05 pm »
I have sent him a PM but may take a day or so for him to look in here !!  He is the best we have here on lighting and is well familiar with Stiffel lamps !!  Lamps are one of those things that are unpredictable !! Except for the very high end types,, there is no collector base !! I mean you can only use so many table lamps !!  As you saw on ebay,, the prices are everywhere but no bids, no watchers, and no sales !!

AmyCovington

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 01:49:51 pm »
Thank you so much for your help. I'm new to all of this, so I really appreciate your kindness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 02:07:22 pm »
Did you plan on selling these or using them ?? Forgot to ask,, do you have the original shades ??  That would add some value !!

AmyCovington

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 02:24:28 pm »
I'm planning on selling them. No, I don't have the original shades.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 01:08:45 pm »
I have never seen these before. They look like they re from the 1960s. Most porcelain on Stiffel lamps was made by Lenox. Look for a Lenox mark in gold if you can. Having the shades adds to the value but it also adds greatly to the shipping. Not usually worth it if selling on line. I like these at around 30.00 to 40.00 each.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 01:14:55 pm »
Thanks Frogpatch,, that the same as I said !! Glad you finally saw my PM !! You must be busy this time of year !!