Author Topic: W H Goss...  (Read 1202 times)

Jedo_03

• View Profile
W H Goss...
« on: September 09, 2014, 06:45:00 am »

There was a time when WH Goss "Crested Porcelain" were collectable (investment) items...
We started collecing "Goss" in the 1970's and it was quite trade-able then...
But it seems to have lost favour nowadays...
Why is that..??
Especially 2nd-Period-Pieces.
Some (most) pieces are superbly-made porcelain miniatures with equally-superb hand-crafted "crests"...
With most of them over 100 years old... True Antiques...
So why has the bottom fallen out of the market..??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: W H Goss...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 11:00:15 am »
Jedo_03, Seems noone has responded to your question because....noone has a definitive answer.  But if you look at the value of different kinds of antiques they ebb and flow with interest.  Different generations have different interests.

There is a Goss Collectors' Club that may be able to help you find the answers you are looking for.
www.gosscollectorsclub.org/

A couple of things I have learned through the years (and I am sure many others on here).  Buy what YOU really like because you like it unless you know you have a genuine high valued item...and then decide if you want to keep it or turn it while the market is still high.  Yes it could go higher...but then again...it may not.  If the value goes down on something and you don't need the money right away, hold on to it.  There is a good chance it will increase in value again at some later date.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Jedo_03

• View Profile
Re: W H Goss...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 02:47:15 am »
Hi KC...
Yes, of course... I concur with all you are saying...
I've been collecting Goss since the 70's. Have (accidentally) broken a small number, but never sold any. I'm a past member of Goss-Collectors Club. Members there still have a high regard for even the most mundane Goss porcelain. I'm sure I read somewhere that 90% of all the Goss Crested porcelain items bought before 1924-ish had been thrown out because people's interest had waned...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be..!!!