Author Topic: Teardrop Pulls  (Read 2138 times)

rustyattic

• View Profile
Teardrop Pulls
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:45:46 pm »
What metal do you think these are made from?  The teardrops are solid and weigh .9oz each.  What type of furniture could I compare the latch mechanism too, to see if it's complete?

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Teardrop Pulls
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 04:41:01 am »
They look to be made of cast brass and were probably salvaged from the doors and/drawers of a specially made cabinet of some type, circa 1800's. (whenever "teardrop" pulls were in fashion)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 08:14:27 am »
Either cast brass or bronze !!  Does the top screw slide out or is there something that goes on the front to secure it ??

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 06:31:26 am »
On further inspection that is a pretty elaborate “self-latching” mechanism.

It appears that one has to “push in” on that spring loaded plunger to pull the drawer open via the “teardrop” handle.

I don’t think they were made for use on a door because they can only be installed at the “top” edge. Of course they could be installed on the door of a base cabinet.

Anyway, maybe they were made for use on a boat or ship’s cabinetry to insure they don’t “open” due to the “rocking of the boat”. ;D ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 08:51:18 am »
We had an old English armoire that the handle worked in the same manner.  When pulled out straight it opens the latch mechanism and when dropped it latches it so the doors didn't swing open!

Beautiful pieces!  Teardrop pulls have been popular since Victorian times.  They have also been referred to as fairy tear pulls.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 09:25:49 am »
Teardrop pulls have been popular since Victorian times.

Actually earlier, they made their first appearance in the William & Mary period, late 17th - early 18th century. I have a period W&M blanket chest with original tear drop pulls. They are attached with wrought iron wire that is bent over and hammered flush to back of drawer front.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:39:45 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 11:08:43 am »
That's what I was thinking about these pulls Jacon4 !!  But since what appears to be a spring assembly is on the back I see nothing that would secure the front of it unless it was hammered and only slightly larger than the opening !!  Can`t tell from these pics !! Don`t really see how pushing or pulling of the teardrop would make a difference since the spring is at the top !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 07:03:25 pm »
Yepper Jacon4, I left out the proper wording in the sentence.  Should have read "Teardrop pulls have been popular even BEFORE Victorian times."  So many try to relate them to Victorian times...but they have been around way longer!  I believe they had nice wooden ones even in Colonial times.

Thanks for Jacon4 for keeping me in line!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 06:12:49 am »
I think this is how it is installed on drawer.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 09:23:21 am »
Thanks Cogar !! Kept looking at that 3d pic and couldn`t figure how that would work !!~ Perhaps these are the first childproof latches invented !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 12:55:52 pm »
Those mounting screw-bolts look like new ones to me.

Makes me wonder iffen the rest of the hardware is. ::)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 01:14:34 pm »
I saw that but figured someone just stuck those in there !!  The rest sure looks right to me !!