Author Topic: German Porcelain - What Is It?  (Read 1416 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
German Porcelain - What Is It?
« on: November 06, 2014, 11:39:51 pm »
Today in an antique shop I came across these 4 items.  The sales tag says they are German napkin holders.  Those would be the darnedest napkin holders if I have ever seen one.  Maybe they did things differently.
The hole isn't big enough for a lipstick tube to go in.

Found a few on Ebay (after I posted this and am now modifying this).  They were listed as a 1) Candle and flower holder or 2) inkwell, 3) unknown holder.

For size I show the picture of one sitting on top of a $1 bill, US.
Heighth is approximately 2 1/2"

From what I can find of the mark, the Blue  7 prong Crown on the Cursive D is for Karl-Heinz Klette of Küps and used 1990 to 2012.  (from our dear friend's site:  http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/germany/bavaria/kueps-01/index.php).  The pieces are not brand new in appearance - so I would guess closer to 1990's.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:53:21 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
German Porcelain - What Is It?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 11:40:27 pm »
More Pics
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:44:51 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Mat

• View Profile
Re: German Porcelain - What Is It?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 04:50:47 am »
Hi KC, this is just an idea, but maybe it could be an "Adventskranz", an advent wreath? In Germany the protestants light a candle on this kind of wreath on the last four Sundays before Chrismas, so that at the 4th of advent all 4 are burning. Sometimes the base for this wreath is made of porcelain. As you have 4 of these, you can form a circle with them. You could put a candle in the round hole in the middle and water and small fir branches around for decoration. The angels depicted would be fine as a decoration for such an item. Do a picture search for Porzellan Adventskranz and you will find many examples. Does this tradition exist also in the U.S.?
Mat  :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 01:44:17 am »
Mat, I do believe you got it!  It makes sense when you see the candles formed into a round wreath!  Candle would fit in center hole and greenery would sit on either side!  :)  Thanks bunches!  A kudo to you!

I just knew they WERE NOT napkin holders!  :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 09:13:41 am »
I saw several of these sets when I looked and most said candle/flower holder !! I think Mat got it too !!  Have not found anything that gave a direct answer !!