Author Topic: Is this a Vitrine or Curio?  (Read 1128 times)

TNJChris

• View Profile
Is this a Vitrine or Curio?
« on: November 17, 2014, 11:21:44 am »
I can't seem to find a vitrine or curio that has a side cabinet like this one. I'm working on getting clearer photos. When I look at vintage or antique display cabinets I don't find any similar ones either. Is this a specific type of display cabinet?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a Vitrine or Curio?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 12:55:33 pm »
Try looking at side-by-side secretary and you will get many more to look at.  Yours has been modernized with paper backing added to the back side.  This is what I was explaining to another inquirer, within the past 2 weeks, is being done to these for the current generation. 

What do you know about your piece...history? 

These are still being made today, especially by the Amish.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 01:16:43 pm »
These combination cabinets were made in many different styles !! Secretary/bookcase or secretary/curio cabinet just call it depending on how its made !! If open shelves on side,,secretary/bookcase !! If closed as yours looks,,secretary/curio cabinet !!
Is that paper backing or sheet cane ??

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 04:04:40 pm »
That looks like maybe someone used one of those "antiquing kits" to renovate that piece.

TNJChris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 12:00:35 pm »
I don't have any history about the piece. I kinda got the impression it wasn't as old as it looked. I know the couple I got it from were handy people.
The backing is paper.