Author Topic: Can anyone tell what this tablet is for, what language ?? Mat, your area !!  (Read 2696 times)

mart

• View Profile
Posted on the Kovel site !! Do not know size and she said she was in Georgia but do not know if its the country or the state yet !!  Ideas of what language it is and what it is for ??

Mat

• View Profile
Hi mart, I cannot see any photo! Could you please upload one so that I can see if I can help?
Mat  :)

mart

• View Profile

Mat

• View Profile
That was a difficult one, but I think I found it! It looks like Rongorongo script from the Easter Islands ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rongorongo ). It has not been deciphered until now. Authentic wooden tablets with this script seem to be very rare. However there are many imitations around, some already antiques themselves as they were made from as early as the 19th century, but they are sold today also as souvenirs. So one would have to show this tablet to a real expert to be sure...
Mat
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:58:19 am by Mat »

mart

• View Profile
Mat,,my thanks !!  You are brilliant !! It was in the U.S. state of Georgia so possibly a souvenir !!  Will let her know !!

mart

• View Profile
One more thing please,, do you know what these are used for ??

Mat

• View Profile
Experts seem to think that religious chants were written on them and only few people that were members of the ruling families were able to read these tablets. "Normal" people were not allowed to touch them.

mart

• View Profile
Thanks Mat,, I appreciate the help !! 
I am hoping that with some activity that forum may liven up but,,doesn`t seem to be !!

Mat

• View Profile
I had a look at it now. I think the problem is you can overlook easily that there exists a forum on that site!

mart

• View Profile
Yes,, I was shocked when I looked the first time !! No replies on anything !! There have been a few pop in ocassionally but that's it !! As well known as the Kovels are you would think someone would help !!  Posts that are months and more old and nada,,nothing from anyone !!  Kind of sad to me !!  I would redirect them here but that might be frowned on !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Can anyone tell what this tablet is for, what language ?? Mat, your area !!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 04:21:25 pm »
Let them frown. Doesn't the Kovels require a paid membership? Are Ralph and Terry still with us? They were up in their years when they had the TV show ten years ago.

Dewain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 04:35:20 pm »
Ralph Died, Terry is doing her thing.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 04:53:38 pm »
Didn`nt know that !!