Author Topic: Antique collector's chest  (Read 2955 times)

Niels

• View Profile
Antique collector's chest
« on: December 08, 2014, 05:16:11 am »
Hi,
I would like to show you my latest find. This one really got me excited :-). As you can see its a somewhat simple looking antique chest. It's the content that's makes this one special (even though I would have bought the chest even when it was empty). What is inside is an amazing collection of shells and other 'fruit de la mer', collected over a time period of more then 60 years! Most items are labelled and the earliest ones are dating back to 1890! The youngest are from the fifties. An unique time document in my opinion!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:21:23 pm by Niels »

Niels

• View Profile
Re: Antique collector's chest
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:22:50 pm »
Hopefully the photos will show up this time.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:52:07 pm by Niels »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 02:46:13 pm »
What a great find. Where did it come from? I recognize a lot of the shell as found where I live along the NJ Shore but not all of them. The box looks as if it were made by the collector, or for the collector, just for that purpose. I would love to have it as a coffee table on my sun porch. It would make for many great conversations. I would guess it was made right around the time of the oldest shell. It love the old finish. It looks like pine to me. I love the old finish. Do not touch it.

Niels

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 03:23:57 pm »
Thanks! The chest I found at a local reclying shop. Somebody much have brought it there. Perhaps a left over when grandma or granddad pasted away. The shells were found along the Dutch coastline, in places as Domburg, Vlissingen, Scheveningen, Zandvoort, Katwijk aan de Zee. Cool thing is that almost every shell has a label with name, date and where it was found. I'm not sure if the box is made by or for the collector. Each compartment is numbered in the same handwriting and some have written labels on them with latin names of minerals and plant species. I think it is an 19th century specimen box used at school or university as teaching material.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:43:02 pm by Niels »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 04:40:36 pm »
Same ocean, other side. I think you are correct in everything you say. Awesome treasure!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 04:44:54 pm »
Wow !!  Now that is a great find !!  Something with a story to tell !! Excellent !! Glad you got it !! Others would have dumped the shells and re-purposed the box !! Keep them together !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 01:55:03 am »
Oh my......words are not enough!  Thank you for sharing this true treasure!

If I had found this in a shop I would have been sent to the hospital with heart irregularities!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 06:56:40 am »
KC-you crack me up

but seriously-the coolest item I have ever seen on the forum.  I hope someone continues to keep the box and shells together--its a piece of work!!

Museum quality?

Niels

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 08:46:03 am »
Thanks everybody! I will most definitely keep the box and shells together. Not sure yet what I will do with it. Perhaps indeed look for museum or serious collector. Or just keep it. We will see. One thing for sure, it should be preserved.

Best,
Niels

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 10:06:30 pm »
Here are a few tidbits that I found interesting.
http://www.randttreasures.com/seashell-collecting

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 07:36:01 pm »
How wonderful to find it all untouched! Great find!
Antiqueaholic in recovery