Author Topic: Sideboard  (Read 2753 times)

Bonniecat

• View Profile
Sideboard
« on: January 27, 2015, 12:55:22 pm »
I bought this a few years ago and would like more info if possible.  I have to post pics separately for some reason.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:57:57 pm by Bonniecat »

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: Sideboard
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:43:04 pm »
I would say its a late victorian Aesthetic movement sideboard/buffet, 1880-1890 or so. I really don't know value on victorian but someone here should be along shortly who does. It looks like walnut with walnut veneer panels, some of veneer seems damaged and if so, that will hurt value.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:56:05 pm by jacon4 »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 06:22:17 am »
Eastlake/Aesthetic ca. 1885-1890, walnut, looks U.S. made, probably from Ohio, Michigan or Illinois. Very handsome! I can't tell as much about condition as Jacon can, but if it's in great shape it should be insured for $1500-$2000, depending on what you paid for it.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 11:55:30 am »
There is another thread on this somewhere !!  But since you are here again Ghopper,, I will ask you !!  I am curious about the skirted bottom on this piece !! It was purchased in upstate NY,, was this type bottom case common to that area  ??

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 02:39:30 pm »
Tell you what, if I had to guess, I'd say this was a custom hand built piece for a dining room and the skirt matched the baseboard.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 03:53:03 pm »
According to my Victorian Furniture guide these were factory made. Back then factory made still involved craftsman. Ghopper is correct of course. He is the Victorian expert as far as I am concerned.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 04:09:53 pm »
Jacon4 and Ghopper almost used the same line when describing this !!   We know what it is,, that was not in question,, but it is quite different from what we normally see as Eastlake !!  Since the cabinetmakers could use their own interpretation of what Charles Eastlake intended,, one way of determining where a piece is made is by the style unique to the area !!  Like the pic in your book Frogpatch !!  This is why I am asking !!  Other Eastlake pieces are quite different !!  Since Charles Eastlake never made a single piece of furniture ( although there is a theory that his workers may have made a few) I was trying to get an idea of the differences according to where they were made !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 03:51:37 am »
We know what it is,, that was not in question,, but it is quite different from what we normally see as Eastlake !!

Correct, it is different, for one thing, no incised vertical or horizontal lines which to me is a signature decoration of eastlake. It has turned spindle decoration which were very popular with aesthetic pieces which is why i picked that style and the hardware which is more mission style than victorian. Although it was common for late victorians to combine a bunch of different styles into one piece, what really sets this piece apart in my view, it was hand made and, for late 19th century america that was unusual & expensive.
I would guess this piece was built on site for a formal dining room with the lady of the house large & in charge, she got it her way!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:01:14 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 08:13:04 am »
Right Jacon4,, spindles are something rarely seen in Eastlake style !!  You do see items similar to this one in English Eastlake !!  That's the reason my interest has been in the evolution of 19th and 20th century furniture and the styles !!  You can find things made here in the south that are not seen in other areas and the same for NE  states ect. !!  That sideboard here would be classic Victorian and if you said Eastlake to any dealer they would think you were nuts !!  Simply because it does not follow the typical style evolution for the south !!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 12:56:38 pm »
Right Jacon4,, spindles are something rarely seen in Eastlake style !!

Yeah, like never, at least here in america. The thing about Eastlake is, it was a reaction to the excessive  carved rococo decoration of earlier victorian era's, it's motto was plain & minimalist, easy to clean flat surfaces, with straight vertical & horizontal incised lines & shallow relief carving. I don't think he was particularly happy with the way American furniture manufacturers adapted their machines to the "eastlake" style but hey, he did publish his book here in the USA in 1872, "Hints on Household Taste". And lets face it, there is an OCEAN of period solid walnut eastlake furniture selling for less than the cost of the walnut it took to build it so it had to be pretty popular in late 19th century america.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:19:24 pm by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 01:25:21 pm »
The above walnut period eastlake sideboard in very good condition with original hardware & brass gallery rails sold for the princely sum of $350. at auction recently. Just the walnut lumber alone would cost 3 or 4 times that amount today, kinda sad actually.