Author Topic: Help dating these drawers  (Read 6103 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Help dating these drawers
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 06:14:10 am »
Value, in england i have no clue, in america, not much, it would do well if it brought $100-150 USD. Over here antique "brown furniture" in the middle market has been on a bad run the last decade or so, you can buy solid walnut, cherry furniture at auction for less than one pays for sawdust furniture at IKEA.

Amen. It's a sad state of affairs for those of us who "invested" in brown furniture 5-10 years ago. But.....I love it anyway!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 11:00:46 am »
I'am surprised Mart is going to allow Jacon to say the bureau is Eastlake. It is English, but not Eastlake. I noticed Insta appraisal squared there act up.but I bet there still cheating.

Dewain knows me too well !!  You get chests similar to these because of William Morris`influence during that period !! That's why it looks more A&C than Eastlake although you could call it either one and not be wrong !! Just happened to be similar time period !!  The stamp on back is the retailer,,probably not the not the maker !!  A few of these shops made their own furniture but as a rule they just sold items made by other cabinetmakers or had the items made according to their needs !!  Like todays designer shops !!
Whats the deal with Insta-appraisal ??  Haven`t heard anything !!

My opinion Jacon4 !!  Your price is about right for the U.S. !! Not sure about UK prices !!  Although,, items advertised as A&C bring more that if the same item is called Eastlake !!  As you have said many times,,people of the Victorian era and its revival used what they wanted to use without regard to style trends !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 11:18:08 am »
Although,, items advertised as A&C bring more that if the same item is called Eastlake !!

A&C? arts & craft? Well, to me, that style brings to mind golden oak in mission, craftsman, arts & craft or whatever style you want to call it with exposed mortise and tenon joinery as a decoration. Yes, period mission style furniture can get pricey particularly if built & branded by a famous maker like Stickley.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:33:56 am by jacon4 »

kben

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 11:24:44 am »
Any ideas what a dealer would offer for them or is he better selling them somewhere like e bay? Thanks

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 11:26:14 am »
how many does he have? I would say ebay would probably be your best bet. A dealer has to buy wholesale, an auction house charges fees so for furniture like this, ebay would be best i think.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:28:36 am by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 11:50:54 am »
Although,, items advertised as A&C bring more that if the same item is called Eastlake !!

A&C? arts & craft? Well, to me, that style brings to mind golden oak in mission, craftsman, arts & craft or whatever style you want to call it with exposed mortise and tenon joinery as a decoration. Yes, period mission style furniture can get pricey particularly if built & branded by a famous maker like Stickley.

Here in the U.S. that is true but in the UK and in the early days it was a bit different !!  Walnut was used a lot !! Still see more walnut in UK furniture than oak !!

kben

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 02:20:26 pm »
I think part of the stamp says ce?78years. Any ideas what this would mean as I believe phillips and sons were trading from around 1800. Thanks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 03:06:59 pm »
I think it says Est, 78 years !! Some will say Est, 1900, or something similar !!  Just means how long the retailer/furnisher has been in business !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 06:40:10 am »
And a little historical trivia, perhaps??

Still see more walnut in UK furniture than oak !!

HA;D ;D that's surely because they didn't have any "treehugging" environmentalists back in the early days when they were pretty much "clear-cutting" the oak for ship building, etc. 

By the way, that is also what triggered ..... The Pine Tree Riot in New England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Tree_Riot

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 08:12:47 am »
Haven`t heard about that one !! Will have to read it later !!  Pines are not my favorite tree but hate to see them cut here !!