Author Topic: french arm chair  (Read 1479 times)

sethsloth

• View Profile
french arm chair
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:07:09 am »
hi i have this french arm chair that i got from a friend who said it belonged to his grandmother. its was in pretty rough condition. iv sanded it down and plan on restoring it. iv seen many similar but can't find this exact one so was just wondering if anyone has any useful info on it like time period, value etc. thanks

mart

• View Profile
Re: french arm chair
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 02:21:57 pm »
What kind of screws are holding the seat braces on ??  Pretty sure this is a 1940`s side chair !!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:29:52 am by mart »

sethsloth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:49:51 pm »
the chair is in my mothers garage at the moment so as soon as i get a chance i will check the screws and post a picture.
if it has arms does that not mean that it is an armchair?
if it is a 1940s chair do you know what value it may hold if restored?
thanks for the help

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 01:12:33 pm »
Side chair or arm chair,, basically the same thing !!  I wish I could say it was worth a lot but sadly,, even restored only about $30. to $40. !!  Just too many were made in many variations !!

sethsloth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 01:17:52 pm »
okay thanks for the help!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:44:19 pm »
If you could do the upholstery yourself and did it well, in my area you may get 100.00 to 125.00 for it. New ones sell for around 300.00 to 800.00 with the detailed carving. I would guess it to be from when Mart says but it could be older and worth more. I would like to see close ups of the bottom. Slotted screws were used even in the mid 1800's and do not look much different then they do today. The key is how they were used. Louis XV and XVI armchairs were reproduced around 1900 also and those are selling in shops and galleries in NYC for as much or more than the new ones depending on the origin and provenance. Having it upholstered professionally would cost you around 500.00 unless you can find someone who does it as a student or as a hobby.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 01:51:34 pm »
In the condition as is it would sell for $40 - $50 easy in my area.  If fully restored to impeccable condition, $100 to $150 depending on material and appearance.  Now if this was a French Bergere Chair....the demand would be much much more.

It appears to be a mid 1900's piece to me as well (like Mart said).  But with better pics and if we find out it is older it could bring in some more (like Frogpatch said). Some great advice given by some people I truly trust (and even though I have known for years - have never met face to face!)

If you want it to be traditional French, research the materials/look you want to accomplish.  This article might help some...she does a great job for helping novice.  http://missmustardseed.com/2015/02/reupholstery-series-part-1-stripping-upholstery/

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:22:58 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!