Author Topic: cast iron, notary embosser and the stamp reads"Charles Chaplin Advertising Servi  (Read 2266 times)

Cast Ironhead

• View Profile
I found this cast iron, notary embosser and the stamp reads"Charles Chaplin Advertising Service Company Corporate Seal Illinois." ( pictures attached) The actual seal press I found / purchased was being sold as just a " Antique Notary Notarize Notory Public Cast Iron Tool Stamp Seal Logo Embosser" but when I read the description > "This is a metal, cast iron, notary embosser type tool. It works very very well, and when used, "stamped" it stamps, the following on paper: "Charles Chaplin Advertising Service Company Corporate Seal Illinois." As you can see if you will look at the pictures closely, this item has "B7-96" scratched on the side, and it also says, "Dwight & M&H Jackson Corporate Supplies." After reading the description I did some research / detective work > The stamp matches exactly to the one I found on a 1915 stock note that was on the charliechaplinarchi ve.org website plus the company who made or distributed the stamper is the same name as the company who provided stationary for Charles Chaplin Advertising Service Company The info and pictures of the stock certificate with the seal and the and the staionary company's reorder form were found @ http://www.charliechaplinarchive.org/ricerca UNDER THE HEADING Charles Chaplin Advertising Service Company - Certificate / Charles Chaplin Advertising Service Company | 1915 | Ca.

ANY IDEAS ON VALUE >  ???

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:45:49 am by Cast Ironhead »

Pelady

• View Profile
Hello Cast Ironhead,

Hard to say what sometime like this would bring.  Most items that bring big money either come from movies or are items he actually touched.  This could be something somebody in an office used certifying stock certificates. This is a link from Hollywood  Legends  auction 2012 that included Chaplin items.

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2012/hollywood-legends/results.html

So if you get a good offer from the Charlie Chaplin Club go for it.

PeLady
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 06:56:12 pm by Pelady »
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

Cast Ironhead

• View Profile
Good point
However...
I researched the company a little more and found that
1. It was only in exsistence for 1 yr 1915-1916 which was the same time Chaplin and his brother Syd were living in Chicago making movies.

2. As far as I can find there was only one other person who was involved (ran) the company

So you never know(Charlie may have stamped the 1st certificate ceremoniously)
 :)

mart

• View Profile
http://www.charliechaplinclub.com/general-discussions/

I have no idea but you might check here !! 

Cast Ironhead

• View Profile
I have posted this piece there as well and yes there is interest for sure. Even the folks @ Roy Export S.A.S. who own the rights to Charlie Chaplin are intersted and said ( and I quote) " We would love to have it, but I would have absolutely no idea how much to offer you for it I'm afraid.."

Just don't know what I should ask for it or where to start to figure a reasonable price :P

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Pelady, thank you for that site. I have an old film of Charlie Chaplin.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."