Author Topic: Gamewell Police Telegraph Box  (Read 2712 times)

WinstonNorth

• View Profile
Gamewell Police Telegraph Box
« on: March 01, 2015, 12:20:28 pm »
This is only the box and key, no telegraph inside. This is an early one, early 1900's if my research is correct. Cast iron, marked new york, citizens key.

There is quite a bit of interest and info on the internet about these, but I'm having trouble putting a value on it. There have been a few out to auction but I cannot see what they actually sold for and most of those auctions are almost 10 years old.

Any idea what may be a fair asking price? Thank you.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Gamewell Police Telegraph Box
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 05:40:31 am »
I like that at at least 300.00 but it would probably bring more. It has several great things going for it. It is a police item, it is very decorative,and it could be used for a purpose. Anything that has NY and police on it will generate a lot of competition on eBay.

WinstonNorth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 12:04:57 pm »
Thank you very much frogpatch!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:36:59 pm »
I would like to hear someone else s opinion on this but they seem to be sleeping. Imagine having to know Morse Code to call the police as a citizen.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 01:55:13 pm »
The "Citizens Key" was just that, a numbered key, which maybe a few of the area business owners carried. If the police were needed, you would put your key in the slot and turn, which would send a signal to the station house. The key could not be removed until an officer opened the front door and released it from the inside. This cut down on the prank calls I'm sure.
If an officer used the box, he would open the door and there usually was a switch that could be placed either in the "On Duty" position, or the "Wagon" position. Some departments would have the foot officers check in at each box on a regular timed basis to determine their location. If the officer had arrested someone and needed transportation, he would call for the "wagon" to come and pick up the detainee.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 03:50:09 pm »
I think Frogpatch is about right on value !! Might even be a little more considering this one is original and unpainted !!  You can buy the keys on ebay if you have the number !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 01:22:26 am »
I agree that it is a legitimate item that will do well from here on out. 

In my area it would easily sell for $300 - $450.  More if a designer got hold of it!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

WinstonNorth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 08:12:05 am »
Thank you all very much, very helpful, I appreciate it!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 09:21:58 am »
Hope it does well for you !! Let us know !!